Bag drag - ADO vs private transfer speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the tips. Taking the ferry the night before and staying in PDC or Cancun is tempting, but it means I'd probably have to check out of my hotel before diving on my last morning, and I'll get off the dive boat in the afternoon with nowhere to shower, change, or dry my gear before packing it up.

I'm leaning towards the cab or private shuttle option. Are there pros and cons to just getting a taxi in PDC vs pre-arranging a private transfer? I imagine the private transfer is a bit more expensive?

I have checked out before diving, had the hotel keep my bags then had the dive op drop me off at Hotel Barracuda. I used their rinse tanks to clean my gear then hung it up to dry while I used their pool to and restrooms. But I have also just checked out of my room in Coz that evening after a shower and a nap before crossing the channel, cost an extra $40 but it makes the morning I fly out more relaxing.

I have never used a private shuttle so I can not comment on that.

You're probably right, but...I like sleep. :cry:
No one loves sleep more than me, but if I have to get up early, an hour earlier is no biggie - especially since I sleep on ferries, buses, and planes. Well, we gave you opinions. Whatever seems easiest.

Reefhound's ideas are okay, but who wants to move into & out of another hotel?

Planning my return-trip bag drag and trying to figure out if I need a private transfer.

Flight out of Cancun is 11:15 am.
I'm thinking I can take the 7am ferry which arrives in PDC at...7:45 or 8, I think? The ferry websites are a bit vague on arrival time.
ADO has a bus departing at 8:15.

Will that leave me enough time to get to the airport via the ADO bus, or would I be safer taking a private transfer?

5:45 am ferry for sure. When had. 2:30 flight last time and caught the 10 am ferry. Glad we did. All the timing worked well but the check in in CUN can be super quick or could take some time. 7 am ferry is too tight

7 AM allows for plenty of time. Even if the ferry is late it still arrives prior to 8 AM. I prefer Waterjet but Ultramar gets to Playa a couple minutes sooner. At the ADO station there are often barkers pedaling '20 dollar' cab rides, its actually a pretty good deal they pair up 3-4 people going to the airport and gets you there in less than an hour. If you take a bus they leave every 30 minutes and get there in 75 Minutes. Still plenty of time to check bags and pass through security.

7 AM allows for plenty of time. Even if the ferry is late it still arrives prior to 8 AM. I prefer Waterjet but Ultramar gets to Playa a couple minutes sooner. At the ADO station there are often barkers pedaling '20 dollar' cab rides, its actually a pretty good deal they pair up 3-4 people going to the airport and gets you there in less than an hour. If you take a bus they leave every 30 minutes and get there in 75 Minutes. Still plenty of time to check bags and pass through security.

Yes.

Thoughts :

I don’t take the bus much anymore since I am usually on a tight schedule. As long as there isn’t a strong Norte coming in that is slowing the crossing ,you should be at bus station by 8am without much problem if you go that route (ticket availability/etc i can’t comment on). The bus route has slowed considerably over the years. More traffic in Playa and more stops (sometimes other station in Playa , Puerto Morelos , multiple terminals ). One of other posters might be able to tell you what to look for in ticketing as to how many planned stops (there may be an “express”, I don’t know. I would probably assume 90 minutes as one of other posters mentioned. 75 minutes if you are lucky (as another poster mentioned )

2). I usually just grab a cab from the stand in front of bus station. There has always been a line of cabs there whenever i have needed one. No need to arrange private transfer unless someone else has had another experience (I usually am there in afternoon, done this 20-30 times over past 3 years ). I would probably assume an hour ride at that time of day. Probably 45-50 minutes in no traffic. Think my record was 42-43 and driver was flying to make my ferry Cost used to be 700 pesos but I think it went to 800 pesos a few months ago. (This is playa to airport , airport to playa is 1000).

3). I do have friends in Cozumel that have good luck with the shared cab route, which I believe is just done from the taxi stand. You can ask about that if you wish and then just take your own if it doesn’t look like it will happen quickly.

This is my first choice for the return to cun.
Quick, direct, fast, and will stop along the way if you want.
Directly outside the corner door to the ADO station is where the drivers wait.
I check the bus price and the offer the driver that amount plus tip.
Works every time, and I am dropped off directly at my terminal.

This is my first choice for the return to cun.
Quick, direct, fast, and will stop along the way if you want.
Directly outside the corner door to the ADO station is where the drivers wait.
I check the bus price and the offer the driver that amount plus tip.
Works every time, and I am dropped off directly at my terminal.

You're saying that you're going to get a taxi to take you from PDC to the airport for $208 MXN, (or $11.02 USD), plus tip?

If that's what you're saying, I don't believe it. We've taken too many hundreds of taxi rides on the mainland for that to be remotely plausible -- that is unless you're offering one heckuva tip.

Lucky to get a taxi to take you from the queue to CTM, (38th), for a $100 MXN -- not because that's what the fare is, but because they're scoundrels.

You're saying that you're going to get a taxi to take you from PDC to the airport for $208 MXN, (or $11.02 USD), plus tip?

If that's what you're saying, I don't believe it. We've taken too many hundreds of taxi rides on the mainland for that to be remotely plausible -- that is unless you're offering one heckuva tip.

Lucky to get a taxi to take you from the queue to CTM, (38th), for a $100 MXN -- not because that's what the fare is, but because they're scoundrels.

The drivers group unrelated passengers before they depart.
They take 4 riders at a time.
They get about $40 to $50 from the group.

The drivers group unrelated passengers before they depart.
They take 4 riders at a time.
They get about $40 to $50 from the group.

Ok, shared taxi. It's not for those in a hurry though. I'd hate to be taking it as a faster alternative than the bus only to have one of the other passengers request the driver to stop somewhere and they take their time tending to their business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom