For the Apeks fans....XTX50 survives 3yrs in the ocean!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair, they are environmentally sealed and the maintenance interval is 2yrs...so...this reg us only 50% over due...no?

It has been in an environment that had low external oxygen stable, mild temps and very little use since the last servicing...

However, I could be way off...the owner could have been at or past the 2yr service mark when he lost it...making this all the more impressive:)

Impressive indeed

For some reason I am not that impressed. The reg appears to have had a good DIN cap on it so no water entry via the first stage side. Further, the second stage was sealed as well. So no water entry via the second stage side. So for and environmentally sealed reg I would expect it still be in good shape internally.

As such, all the crap is external and basically cosmetic. So the real question is how well did the chrome-plating hold up???

Looks pretty good compared to some of the hull cleaner regs I see :vomit:

20190426_153608.jpg

The reg appears to have had a good DIN cap on it
Yes. The "tank" model.

Further, the second stage was sealed as well.
Huh? Sealed 2nd stage?

for and environmentally sealed reg I would expect it still be in good shape internally.
Well, yeah. It's a pretty good illustration of why some of us prefer environmentally sealed, AKA diaphragm, 1st stages. Of which Apeks is a major manufacturer.

This is why it survived, from the article
“The cold Norwegian ocean had claimed much of the kit for herself and was beyond repair. However, the diver noticed that his Apeks regulators were still pressurised and his cylinder still contained air.”
The reg was in good condition from the start so nothing nasty got inside, quality construction helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom