SD Card capacity for TG-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a new TG-6. I have read everywhere I can think of regarding the maximum capacity of the SD card inserted in the camera. I have found nothing. Can, and will, someone provide some insight? In other words, how big of an SD card should I use? :confused:

Thanks and cheers - M²

I think it might be 512 GB. The SanDisk cards appear to the largest, My wife has a baby 32 GB in hers.
upload_2020-2-4_18-47-15.png

Let me ask you the reverse, how many days between downloading and how many pictures or min video per day?

My opinion is 64-128 seems to be a good price point after that they get more and more expensive, and speed will trump size for most users. So unless you plan to keep a lot of stuff on the camera I say get the fastest that supports the duration between downloads + a couple days buffer.

I have to charge my battery daily (or several times) so I tend to download daily and have yet to exceed 300 pics a day (strobe and battery limit) so, if a raw file takes 30 MB of space, it can fit in the memory cards as follows:
  • 32 gb = 1,092 photographs
  • 64 gb = 2,184 photographs
  • 128 gb = 4,368 photographs
  • 256 gb = 8,732 photographs
JPG files are almost too much to count at 7 MB each:
  • 32 gb = 4,700 photographs
  • 64 gb = 9400 photographs
  • 128 gb = 18,800 photographs
  • 256 gb = 37,600 photographs
*remember that this digital aspect is 1,024 bytes = 1mb and 1,024 mb is 1 gb*

(from How Many Photos Can a 32 / 64 / 128 / 256 GB Memory Card Hold?)

Then subtract space for videos and you see you really dont need a huge SD card, but that is my opinion, and yes buy the fastest in the size you want as write speed is a bigger issue

I use the 64 Gb cards and travel with 3 of them along with my laptop. I rather have multiple cards that are smaller then 1 big card. Better for accidents and floods

Curious cruisekingkris why in addition to laptop? Granted I sync to google cloud so that is my backup strategy, and when in remote areas, a local backup on my phone until we get network access.

Mine gets to double duty (but then I am freelance so work=pleasure)

I download to my laptop after my last dive of the day then backup my laptop to a portable drive, delete and format my sd card and put it back into my camera. I travel with several sd cards as well and rotate using them every two days.

I download to my laptop after my last dive of the day then backup my laptop to a portable drive, delete and format my sd card and put it back into my camera. I travel with several sd cards as well and rotate using them every two days.
What size do you use?

Cheers - M²

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom