apeks xtx50,100 or 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTX50 for primary, and XTX40 for octo, both breather like a dream. Any of those you listed, are worthy.

considering the apeks line. do these breathe any different for those that have used them?

The only difference between 50/100/200 seconds is the trim, internals are the same. As @muzikbiz22 says the 40 breaths great as well, the only difference is the 40 is not adjustable.

If you are refering to first stages they are all configured differently and have pro's and con's depending on your needs and desired hose routing but again all breathe the same, (i've had all three.)

XTX50 for primary, and XTX40 for octo, both breather like a dream. Any of those you listed, are worthy.

I would swap that around. Set the XTX40 to your preferred breathing effort and dive that as primary. Use the XTX50 as secondary and have it set the same, but you can turn it back so it is less prone to freeflow.

@dentlfly they breathe the same. Second stages are functionally identical, the 100/200 just have more "flash" in aesthetics. The hose routing of the DST is the best of the lot though, so I'd buy the XTX50/DST

I would swap that around. Set the XTX40 to your preferred breathing effort and dive that as primary. Use the XTX50 as secondary and have it set the same, but you can turn it back so it is less prone to freeflow.

I have often thought of doing exactly this, thanks for the re-affirmation. Now I've got something to do this weekend :)

I have often thought of doing exactly this, thanks for the re-affirmation. Now I've got something to do this weekend :)

Yep save some $ and just get the XTX50. I have tried the 100 and 200 and can not tell the difference. I have not taken a 100 apart but I have taken a 200 apart and its the same as the 50.

All I use is XTX50's with DST's best setup money can buy IMO

All breathe the same. The second stages are all identical save cosmetics, get the XTX50. For single tank back mount I like the FSR first stage, the hp crown is removable, it has 2 hp ports, can fit a fifth port and I find the hose routing good. It's dead nuts simple to service, well they all are actually, relative low parts count, as compared with a MK17 for example.

I agree with the others; you're really going for cosmetics on the second stage. Saving a bit of money and going for the XTX 50 is a good call, but the chrome does look nice on the 100. For the first stage, I prefer the DST (XTX 50) with a 5th port because the hose routing is nice, but that's personal preference.

- Jake

You can turn the XTX40 back, you just need to use an Allen key. The only difference between a 40 and a 50 is the knob.

For me, being able to adjust the resistance in water is not particularly useful. You've still got the Venturi adjustment available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom