USVI Dive Vacation - what do we need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I watched a DM try to get a lionfish off of his spear while the reef sharks were already after it. All turned out well but I'm glad it wasn't me in that rumble.

My family and I spent Christmas on St. Croix, the third of the three USVI we've traveled to. Since I got back I've been talking it up with all my buddies, trying to recruit them for a return trip.

The Pier was fantastic. There are wrecks, reefs and walls still to explore. Enjoyed the boardwalk and restaurants around Christensted. Explored Cane Beach and Rainbow Beach.

As more said above, St. Croix feels different, like people lived there. There were no cruise ships in port during our visit, so that definitely had an impact - or DIDN'T have an impact, I guess.

We heard the Maho Bay Campground on St. John might re-open. That would be a dream come true. St. Thomas - very busy, very cruise ship "touristy."

My two cents. YMMV.

This reef shark came by with 3 of his friends about 45 minutes into a shore dive off North Star/Twin Palms (just west of Cane Bay). They started circling and after I got this shot with my macro lens (only lens I had with me), we decided it would be a good idea to head back in.

stx1.jpg

On the other hand, this dolphin came by on a safety stop on a boat dive out of Christiansted, too

stx2.jpg

There was a whole pod and they stayed and did swim-bys for 15 minutes. Damn, now I wanna go back to St. Croix!

Damn, now I wanna go back to St. Croix!

My feeling as well. I saw a turtle dining on a coral head. When I got up to it, I discovered there were actually two turtles there.

I popped out of a trench and surprised a reef shark just cruising around.

On a night dive on the Fredriksted Pier, there were three seahorses within 20' of where we dropped in; later, octopi, squid, eel...

Now I want to go to St Croix too! haha

Sounds like a good destination for diving and non-diving couples?

As always, Scubaboard knowledge base does not disappoint

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom