DIR- Generic DUI Cortez for Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its fine.

Biggest structural differences seem to be the zipper cover and the apparent lack of cordura or nylon over wear areas like the shoulders and knees.

I haven't personally handled the Cortez material, but the FLX material is very durable, but heavier compared to TLS. Id expect the Cortez to be somewhere in between those two. TLS is great for travel, but you sacrifice with durability.

Not sure what options are available for the Cortez, but the cloverleaf crotch pad is a necessity on the FLX and TLS. If you can get that added on, do it.

Its fine.

Biggest structural differences seem to be the zipper cover and the apparent lack of cordura or nylon over wear areas like the shoulders and knees.

I haven't personally handled the Cortez material, but the FLX material is very durable, but heavier compared to TLS. Id expect the Cortez to be somewhere in between those two. TLS is great for travel, but you sacrifice with durability.

Not sure what options are available for the Cortez, but the cloverleaf crotch pad is a necessity on the FLX and TLS. If you can get that added on, do it.

Thanks, AJ!

Its fine.

it also comes with a plastic zipper

Out of curiosity, what is it about GUE or GUE instructors, as opposed to cave/tech divers in general, that might make GUE instructors disfavor any particular model of trilam drysuit?

The biggest complaint that people I know that have gone with OMS or standard DUI dry suits (and the Cortez is in this category), is the continuous leaking at the seams. For specifics of two people in my area, one upgraded to the FLX Extreme and I don't remember what the other guy got (TLS I think). They now dive dry and are happy.

Out of curiosity, what is it about GUE or GUE instructors, as opposed to cave/tech divers in general, that might make GUE instructors disfavor any particular model of trilam drysuit?
Fit, ability to self-don, dump valve placement, pocket location, durability, ease of repair.

Fit, ability to self-don, dump valve placement, pocket location, durability, ease of repair.
And it always seems like one or more of these are mutually exclusive lol
especially durability vs ease of repair

Personally I am hard on suits. The CF200 has been some of the best material for me. But its hard to self repair, by far the heaviest material for travel, takes forever to dry. So I give up a lot - having the lowest possible threat of actually ripping the suit in 38-44F water is worth it.

The biggest complaint that people I know that have gone with OMS or standard DUI drysuits (and the Cortez is in this category), is the continuous leaking at the seams. For specifics of two people in my area, one upgraded to the FLX Extreme and I don't remember what the other guy got (TLS I think). They now dive dry and are happy.

Did they own the Cortez or another suit?

Sure, but how are aspects like durability, fit and ease of repair in any way more desirable to GUE divers than divers under other training agencies? Lots of divers place weight on those characteristics. As for dump valve placement, some manufacturers offer customization of those kinds of things on any of their suits--even Santi would let you select dump valve placement--so I don't see that as being relevant to which suit model might be favored or disfavored by GUE instructors as opposed to other cave/tech instructors of similar experience. No doubt there are a few suits out there with configurations that really don't work well for GUE diving, but I think they are rare. People show up to Fundies class (and beyond) with lots of different suits, and I suspect very few of those suits draw a negative comment from the instructor. A well-made suit is a well-made suit irrespective of training agency, is it not?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom