Mares Pure Tank Positioning Strap - How to use it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanb3006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In the user manual for the Pure, it describes how a positioning strap is looped over the tank valve and tightened. No problem there. What i don't understand, though, is the next line in the manual. "This will help you position the BC onto the tank on your next dive." How does that work, when the strap has to be undone to get the tank off, thereby eliminating any "fit" you might have achieved over the first tank?

The tank positioning strap is just looped over the tank valve, letting the BC dangle at the position you want it on the tank. Adjusting its length(presumably what they mean by "tightening") won't keep you from just lifting the BC off after you unlock the strap holding the tank on. (The positioning strap isn't the heavy strap which holds the tank in place but the narrow piece of webbing with the length adjusting buckle above it.)

rongoodman, thank you for clearing that up. I was looking at the problem the wrong way round. The positioning strap is for positioning the BC not the tank. Now that I get it, it's actually a good idea. Fitting a tank in the right position at the back of a BC requires 3 hands. One to hold the BC, and two to tighten the heavy holding strap. The positioning strap acts as the first hand. Genius.

I’ve used a length of nylon rope to do the same thing.

The positioning strap main use is to help hold the weighted BC in position on the tank while you secure the camband(s). Some divers remove the weight pockets when swapping tanks but it is still a useful feature. I added similar one inch nylon straps with an adjustable QR buckle to my BP/wing and to my wife's rig as well for the same purpose of assisting holding the loaded BC while securing the cambands.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom