What are your favorite type of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first post OW certification dive was a night dive. We were in Jamaica and there were 4 of us on the dive. I had finished certifying earlier the same day.

I was buddies with my instructor and a couple was the other buddy pair. Per our plan the instructor stayed on the bottom, about 7 m down, while the other pair ascended. My instructor had suggested practicing a couple basic skills in the dark so I did an equipment removal and replace and a couple other basics, a little more difficult in the dark. I highly recommend periodic practice of the fundamental skills in varied environments and conditions.

It was a clear night with a full moon. The water was crystal clear, looking at the other pair as they approached the boat they were backlit by the moon, the plankton bio illumined around them and it looked like they were swimming in the Milky Way.

Been hooked on night dives ever since.

Diving in warm clear water in a skin. But don't get me wrong, I'll dive in cold 20'vis water in my 7ml...but I love the warm water.

I enjoy many different dives for many reasons but one that will always have a special place is my first deep (38m) night dive. We swam out to sea from the jetty. Rested a while, ducked under the surface then put ourselves in the horizontal position (as skydivers) then down we went into the darkness for 90 seconds before the bottom came into view.

Wreck diving is my favorite type of diving. It is also why I’m starting down the path towards tech diving. It couples the weightless relaxation that I achieve from diving with the engineer and admirer of history inside of me.

I view diving as an escape from an otherwise stressful life, so I want my dive to be as stress free as possible.

Having said that, all things being equal, I like to dive in what I once heard referred to as "toilet water", clear, turquoise, no colder than "room temperature" and normally with little to no current. Once I find myself in those conditions, a "perfect dive" would have an incredibly healthy reef full of abundant life up to and including a large and healthy population of sharks.

Night dives, love octopus and the serenity of it all. Especially love diving a site during the day and then again at night and seeing the difference.
After that drift diving is a blast. Sometimes it's because I can see more reef, sometimes I enjoy a ripping current and just enjoying the ride.

Night diving especially my first night / full moon dive in cozumel.
I also really enjoy it when I get to dive with turtles. One dive in coz a guide took the time to really point out particular small fish like baby box fish. I really enjoyed stopping and looking at the smallest creatures in the big ocean.

Back home when ever I’m not frozen and everything went smoothly it’s a good dive.

I’m a wall, pinnacle, and structure freak.
I love swimming through huge boulders the size of buses and the mini caverns and swim throughs those create, and cruising along sheer walls that plummet straight down.
I don’t get a chance to travel to warm water (yet) so I make the best out of my local Northern California diving. It’s cold but I don’t care, the enormity and grandeur of the underwater terrain makes up for it...and the fish.
Speaking of sharks, if I’m ever lucky enough to encounter one it will be a massive great White where I dive. I don’t know what my reaction would be because it hasn’t happened yet.
Seals and sea lions are a load of fun too.

Speaking of sharks, if I’m ever lucky enough to encounter one it will be a massive great White where I dive. I don’t know what my reaction would be because it hasn’t happened yet.

Whatever your reaction is, I guarantee a large brown cloud in the water column will be part of it. Especially if one sneaks up on you real close. :) I speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom