Tonga diving - what to expect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shirtz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi guys - im quite possibly moving to Nuku'alofa next year for three year in January and am looking for opinions/reviews of how the diving is over there. both my partner and I are certified (me with 100 dives, partner with less) and will likely have access to a boat.

I have looked at the past threads on this forum and have deduced that there are whales a plenty in whale season. Deep blue being the main company on Nuku'alofa. I have emailed them but they don't respond. I have my own gear except tanks. their prices seem expensive so I hope I will be able to get some local rate/or at least be able to just use their tanks at a reduced rate. anyway, below are some questions. I would appreciate any help!

*is there any decent diving from Nuku'alofa? if no, where is the best in a close vicinity?
*anyone have experience with bringing your own gear in tonga? would it be worthwhile buying our own tanks and bringing them over?

any details about the area would be great - its pretty slim pickings on the net!

thanks for the link. I have had a look before and disreguarded it as the posts are very old with minimal (if any) replies. its like tonga is a black hole on information. the best info I have had (not diving related!) is from here KINGDOM OF TONGA Archives - Tonga Time

shirtz,
An interesting question...perhaps when you get on scene you can fill-in the “information gap”. The lack of information may be an indication that the diving is just not great..or it’s too difficult getting there, or too expen$ive once you do get there...When I find scant info on a dive destination, it’s rarely because I uncovered an undiscovered, “gem”...

a very very good point. I will do my best to fill in the hole if I do make it, but I think diving in the surrounding areas will be a better bet for those traveling from afar. worst case as is I have access to other great close areas. thanks.

*is there any decent diving from Nuku'alofa? if no, where is the best in a close vicinity?
*anyone have experience with bringing your own gear in tonga? would it be worthwhile buying our own tanks and bringing them over?
any details about the area would be great - its pretty slim pickings on the net!

I'll try to help, but I last dived in Tonga 15 years ago...
Nuku'alofa was a bit of a dump to be honest... maybe its improved over the years?

The diving was very good, but based out of Vav'au.
Va'vau has a very pretty harbour and is the home of a fair bit of blue water yacht racing... some great little bars and a laid back atmosphere.
Vava'u Islands, Tonga, South Pacific

Schools of some pelagics, Batfish, some barracuda but not on the scale of Indonesia or PNG.
Visibility on most dives was around 30m but a couple of dives near a deep ocean trench had at least 50m... like diving in air but c-c-cold :eek:

We bought all our own gear except for tanks... could hire some gear but was in poor condition, not well maintained.
Beluga Diving seems to be the only dive operator in Va'vau now:
Home - Diving in Tonga Vava'u. dive courses Tonga Pacific Island. Whale swimming tonga

We snorkeled with Humpback whales which was something I will remember for the rest of my life... also night dived in sea caves with the sound of whales calling to each other. Such low frequency you felt it through the chest rather than hearing it!

Snorkelled at Swallows Cave which was stunning when a shaft of light shines through the water at a certain time of day... I recall my GF complaining when I made her do it a couple of times to get THE shot!

Overall a great experience and I vowed to return... but then caught the PNG bug :wink:

Humpback and calf, Tonga.jpg

Swallows Cave Tonga.jpg

thank you for your great reply fibonacchi. yes from my reading VaVa'u seems the be the best place around for diving. its surprisingly expensive from nuku but im sure there are deals to be had. im sure there will be other sites around and I will do my best to report on them!

ans re nuku - I think its still a dump!

I think the main/only reason Australians and New Zealanders go to Tonga to dive is to swim with humpback whales. Any scuba diving is incidental to that. I only know three people who have been there and that was well over 10 years ago. Sorry you are not getting many replies, you will not get any from Tonga on this forum that is almost certain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom