21% Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It could be the O2 clock is not run in Air mode. Just guessing.

Bob

My guess is that in air some metrics are not calculated. I have never heard of the OP's concern before. I have no backing for my guess at all.

Another reason to love my shearwater...

My understanding from chatting to a DC manufacturer is that, like Bob and KWS said, there are factors that differ between the modes. In some computers, the "Air" and "EANx" modes are actually different "programs" being run on the computer. When you switch between them, the saved "O2" data is lost, thus they try prevent you from doing so in case of high CNS exposure.

One of the reasons for this is/was battery life. DC manufacturers tend to do a LOT to reduce battery use, especially with non-chargeable, non-user replaceable batteries (most of the wrist computers for example)

With induction charging and user replaceable batteries ala Perdix and Teric, etc, many of these companies don't have the battery life concerns, so they are less likely to lock things out etc etc.

In many of these cases, the machines just run the nitrox mode regardless, the "Air" indication is just a preset to EANx21 and it won't show you the O2 clock unless it becomes an issue.

Maybe @Shearwater can give some insight into this.

I don’t find that enriching at all.

In some manual of a long forgotten DC model, they mentioned it was to make sure in Nitrox mode you were setting what you were diving and not relying on a default. Might have been Oceanic, maybe Suunto... It's been close to 10yrs ago.

I also just leave mine in nitrox mode and set the percentage to 21, just easier for me.

I'm going to leave this thread and let others try mixing in some lighter levity.

Lots of good feedback gibbon here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom