Flying to Utila with rEvo Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL thats a little excessive!, seems like a great idea though. I am looking for the 4L packaging so i can try to trouble shoot this Hollis Explorer of mine in the pool, before I have a keg sit there for a year while i wait for service kit, parts. Warm Water etc.
why? we all need sorb, it keeps for 5 years if you have a slow year. I order a couple kegs at a time for $250

I mean you can all do your own thing and pay more. Diveaddicts in Utah is great to work with for us though

The main issue with sorb is, if you don’t bring your own, you will never know how it was handled between the distributor and your destination. When I buy a keg from somebody in my city, I have a conversation about how it was handled. Was the pallet stored in a place that had any type of temperature control? How old is it?

If you are diving in the tropics and purchasing it there, the handling will likely be much less careful. The sorb might have been left out on an airport tarmac or in the back of a hot truck for days. I wouldn’t trust it unless the dive destination can vouch for it’s safe handling from distribution to the shop, and also that other divers have had similar experiences with that operation.

I’ve had good experiences at my destinations and also bad ones. So if you can ask the right questions and get good answers, let the dive op take care of it. It’s one less thing that will concern you when you arrive. I once dived for an entire month in Papua New Guinea because I brought two kegs of my own sorb. My O2 fills were low because there was no booster, but at least I wasn’t worried about the sorb being poorly handled. For that and many other reasons, I had an exceptional, problem free CCR trip that I will remember for the rest of my life...

.... I once dived for an entire month in Papua New Guinea because I brought two kegs of my own sorb. My O2 fills were low because there was no booster, but at least I wasn’t worried about the sorb being poorly handled. For that and many other reasons, I had an exceptional, problem free CCR trip that I will remember for the rest of my life...

A month of CCR diving in PNG sounds like a bucket list dive trip! I sailed for a month doing rec diving of a sailing ship... best diving I've ever done.

I'm flying to Utila, taking my rEvo, in a couple of weeks. I have not flown a CCR anywhere before. I'm diving with Utila Dive Center, who will have cylinders to rent, O2 fills, and BO cylinders to rent.

My plan is to check a full, sealed jug of sorb as part of my luggage. There will be 3 of us with CCRs there, so it will go to good use. I'm flying Avianca, Dulles to San Salvador to Roatan, and then taking the ferry. As far as i can tell, the checked bag weight limit is 23kg and the sorb is 20. I will print out the MSDS and have it with me. Any thoughts on that part of the plan would be very welcome.

I am still trying to decide how best to actually transport my rEvo. It has a Don Six stand on it, which I guess I'll remove and not take with me. The major debate (in my head) is, do I get a hardsided suitcase and put the rEvo in there, packed in with clothes and stuff to protect it, then check it? Or do I take it as a carry-on, backpack-style?

I guess, either way, I would remove the BOV/loop hose assembly and use some plastic wrap and rubber bands to cover/seal the loop openings into the counter lungs. I have the rEvo travel tank fixations that will be clipped in place. Dust caps on the 1st stages. Scrubber baskets empty and in place inside. Predator controller and NERD2 monitor both removed and packed with the BOV in my "personal item" carry-on (? I guess? Or maybe the controller could stay attached and just tie-wrapped into a safe, protected spot, maybe where a cylinder would go?).

If I go backpack-style, do I need to rig up some kind of cover to cover it all up, so it just looks like a backpack with 2 webbing shoulder straps? Or could I lug it around with no cover on it? I will use velcro tie-wraps as needed to secure loose bits, like the first stages, MAV, and LPI.

Again, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Please!
Stuart, Have a great trip to Utila, hope some of the commentary here was helpful.

Stuart, Have a great trip to Utila, hope some of the commentary here was helpful.

It has been. But, now I feel like a complete loser because I don’t have an SF Tech cover for my rEvo and it doesn’t seem like I will be able to get one. Waah!

It has been. But, now I feel like a complete loser because I don’t have an SF Tech cover for my rEvo and it doesn’t seem like I will be able to get one. Waah!

If you can’t get a SF cover, it seems weird, but the Weber used to make a grill cover that fit the units pretty well.

Great idea, thanks! Any idea what size to get for a rEvo micro?

I was wondering the same thing. The description has dimensions for the different sizes. I just ordered a size L for my Mini.

They claim to offer no-cost swap-out if you get the wrong size. I think the L should be just right for height and thickness. I'm not sure about the width. The cover might be a little bit more narrow than is ideal. But, I'm also not too worried if it doesn't really wrap ALL the way around.

It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (thank you, Jeff Bezos). If it's too small, I have plenty of time to swap it for a bigger one.

I was wondering the same thing. The description has dimensions for the different sizes. I just ordered a size L for my Mini.

They claim to offer no-cost swap-out if you get the wrong size. I think the L should be just right for height and thickness. I'm not sure about the width. The cover might be a little bit more narrow than is ideal. But, I'm also not too worried if it doesn't really wrap ALL the way around.

It is supposed to be delivered tomorrow (thank you, Jeff Bezos). If it's too small, I have plenty of time to swap it for a bigger one.
Stuart, please post a pic when you get your cover on your machine. I may follow your lead. I think my micro is only an inch or so shorter, so the same cover should work for me as well. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom