Weightbelts, why does everyone hate them so much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight belts are no good. Shops gotta sell expensive weight pockets and proprietary replacements for the poodle jackets.

Some things stand the test of time and a rubber weight belt with hard lead is one.
I haven’t had the chance to try a rubber belt yet. Only the webbing style. Everyone swears by rubber

I haven’t had the chance to try a rubber belt yet. Only the webbing style. Everyone swears by rubber

I have webbing type belt with a spring loaded buckle that contracts as I descend. I think Trident markets one, I use a Tenka brand buckle I bought 30+years ago. Also have a mini version of the same buckle for use on a nylon Velcro watch band.

I hate weight belts because they give me a backache, whereas the integrated weight pockets on my bp/w and prior bcds are supported by my shoulders. For me, no backaches is a no brainer.

Have any of you divers that don't wear weight belts given any thought how you would maintain depth if for some reason, like entanglement for example you had to take your rig off. If all your ballast is on your rig that'll give you one hand to work with while you hold on tight to your rig with the other. I keep a 12lb belt on, which is enough for me to stay slightly negative without my rig at any depth.

The entanglement scenario has happened to me which is why I ask.

It's usually the unplanned scenarios (like actually having to take our BC off) that get us in trouble. Like @AfterDark I had an entanglement on my doubles manifold in a wreck @170'. Fortunately, I was able to reach back and unhook the piece of metal, but one of my scenarios I went through in my head after I realized I was snagged was to take my BC off if I had to to unhook myself. After doing something similar with a jacket style and everything in the integrated pockets during training, and realizing how awkward it was to try and hang onto my BC, let alone what would happen if I lost hold of it, I would never dive without some weight staying with me whether it be web belt, rubber or harness.

I learned when we only had weight belts so that is what I'm comfortable with.
My work BC (which is what I usually use) has integrated weights. These days I keep the minimum weight I need to dive with a drysuit (summer fresh water) on the weight belt & if I need extra weight (saltwater / winter with fleece undergarment) I put the additional weight in the BC. I generally don't like much weight in the BC as it makes them much heavier when out of water.
My personal BC without integrated weights is usually only used on vacation (so warm water). Diving with a shorty I need very little weight I put in a soft weight belt. Very comfortable.
I can't conceptualize diving with weights that can't be ditched....

I hate weight belts because they give me a backache, whereas the integrated weight pockets on my bp/w and prior bcds are supported by my shoulders. For me, no backaches is a no brainer.

I used to carry all my weight (2 - fours and 4 - threes) in a belt, and had a similar result.

WIth the help of a dive instructor who had also had back issues, he convinced me to add trim pockets to the tank band of my BCD.

We moved two of the threes to the trim pockets which changed my center of gravity and took that weigh off my lower back.

Now I dive, pain free, but still with a ditchable weight belt.

I totally agree with your preference for weight belts. That is the only configuration I use and all the weight I wear would be back plate and weight belt. Your post makes it seem like you believe that weight that goes into a weight integrated BCD is not ditch able? Those pockets can can be pulled out and dropped but I still prefer weight belt.

Have any of you divers that don't wear weight belts given any thought how you would maintain depth if for some reason, like entanglement for example you had to take your rig off. If all your ballast is on your rig that'll give you one hand to work with while you hold on tight to your rig with the other. I keep a 12lb belt on, which is enough for me to stay slightly negative without my rig at any depth.
The entanglement scenario has happened to me which is why I ask.

My weights are in pockets that can be fairly easily put back into the BCD if removed. If I had to take off BCD I would take out weight pocket and put it inside my wetsuit. Do my whatever and then put BCD back on and return the weights. Yes, I have practiced this a couple times. I do not have much waist and do not trust a weight belt to stay on.

Another advantage of the integrated weights is I can take the weights out if I want, remove just a few weights and put the rest back. It is not a dump all or none choice.

My back hurts just reading this. Diving Santa Barbara county with its required thick buoyant wetsuit in the days before integrated weights, and after "the day it happened" (to my back that is), carrying all the weight I needed on the belt was excruciating. I won't say I wasn't over weighted, but my suit required a bunch of lead. It was going to be heavy on my back either way. At that time I didn't know anyone who offered any alternatives to the one belt. I think I'm scarred now and wouldn't consider anything but a couple of pounds on a belt. I do like what I'm reading here about splitting between integrated and belt just to ensure negative buoyancy if I have to get out of my rig.

Back
Top Bottom