Peacock Springs - Upper Orange Grove Cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
What is this cave like? I see it on the map, but I don't hear about the cave much. Would it be an appropriate cave for a beginner cave dive (with an experienced buddy)?

Yes, this is a good beginner dive. We did it as our C1 graduation dive on the last day of class. Max depth was 66ft, avg 49ft. Diving with an experienced buddy is a good experience in general but I would not see it's a requirement for Orange Grove.

It's a little tighter overall than Peanut and Olsen lines (not as much as the Peanut tunnel itself but the entire line is generally smaller than the other 2). Definitely a finesse cave. Going through it reminds me of a parking structure as you make turns and go up and down "levels" of the cave. Visually different than the P1 lines as well.

EDIT: This video shows a C2/Full dive but shows what Orange Grove looks like

Going through it reminds me of a parking structure as you make turns and go up and down "levels" of the cave.

That’s a pretty good descriptor!

_R

What is this cave like? I see it on the map, but I don't hear about the cave much. Would it be an appropriate cave for a beginner cave dive (with an experienced buddy)?

Are you a qualified cave diver? If so, then Orange Grove is a great place to dive. If not, then stay out.

Are you a qualified cave diver? If so, then Orange Grove is a great place to dive. If not, then stay out.

Apprentice level. Myself and @tmassey went there yesterday, a little low but a nice cave none the less. Well except for the part where the main line went through the narrow and tall rock section rather than the low S-curve, that wasn't as fun in sidemount.

Upper OG is a great cave. Several low silty places for you to really get a good idea of how you can handle those. Pretty sure the jump to the distance tunnel has been cut back a little, but that used to be an easy mistake when exiting.
If you can make it to challenge on 1/3 of LP 85s, Then you are doing pretty darn good on gas consumption.

Peacock can be anything from entry level to very advanced depending on where you go.

The passage from OG to Challenge is much smaller unlike mainline passages from P1 to Olsen, which means there is much less floor to ceiling relief. I applaud you for asking the question and wanting to know before exploring it. OG to Challenge used to be a very pristine passage with silty floors,but that has gone away because of high traffic and poor technique. There are a lot of dings on the ceiling and marks on the floor, in a very sensitive area for not only the goethite formations,but large stygobite populations and biofilms. If you struggle with keeping neutral buoyance and spot on trim ,then this passage maybe worth progressing to, to avoid more damage. The more damage to the floor will compromise food and shelter source for the isopods and amphipods that live there, that are considered critically imperiled by FNAI.

Am I correct that Lower OG is the easier one?

Apprentice level. Myself and @tmassey went there yesterday, a little low but a nice cave none the less. Well except for the part where the main line went through the narrow and tall rock section rather than the low S-curve, that wasn't as fun in sidemount.
I love that part of the cave. We did our Graduation dive in Orange Grove and I was there again in December. Get your primary reel skills in check to get to the main line. Unlike Peacock, It is a fair distance from OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom