Carnival 2020 avoid or partake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you were to fly direct from HOU to CZM you'd be there before noon. I'm just sayin'. :D

I'd have paid $550 not $160 for my RT ticket, too. Think of it as flying into Cancun and dealing with a bit of inconvenience in exchange for a week of free diving.

We love Carnival. We will stand and watch one night. We will walk against it one night and eat and drink our way from one end of town square to the other end square. Many awesome bars and taco stands line the parade streets. On the last night we stay up until 3am dancing in the municipal square near the police station to whatever free music there is. The bars they set up are open all night and the food is awesome. We do not generally dive one Ash Wednesday due to hang over. We also don’t generally drink the other 2 nights of parade. If you are there for a week or more there are fun beauty pageants and children’s dances to go see too. It’s fun to fully emerge

Also that said we are in Cozumel for a month and don’t dive everyday regardless. We work the first 3 weeks and dive weekends. So Carnival does not cut into our dive. Also noise can be an issue any time in Mexico regardless of the time of year. Fiestas go late and loud!

The OP spoke of Casa Mexicana, I love carnival and road the Rasta float the last three years. First two years fell off and was unable to get back on around Calle 5 but last year made it al the way back to Chedraui, what a hoot. Last year muled a 140 lbs of beads. The parade finishes around 11PM and the party migrates down to the municipal plaza so that gives the folks staying along Melgar around 7 hours to sleep on Fat Tuesday evening, I typically skip diving wednesday morning and try for an afternoon dive.

I live 3 blocks from the main drag and have for past 12 years. We have probably watched a parade 3 times. The rest of the time I pull my car into the carport, hide all other belongings, insert ear plugs, and close all windows and doors. Lots of drunk, noisy people and really loud music. If that floats your boat, enjoy.

I live 3 blocks from the main drag and have for past 12 years. We have probably watched a parade 3 times. The rest of the time I pull my car into the carport, hide all other belongings, insert ear plugs, and close all windows and doors. Lots of drunk, noisy people and really loud music. If that floats your boat, enjoy.
Well after the feedback here I decided to skip it and come in March. I love the peace and quiet of Cozumel and really don’t drink much so it’s not for me during Carnival. Thanks y’all.

Well after the feedback here I decided to skip it and come in March. I love the peace and quiet of Cozumel and really don’t drink much so it’s not for me during Carnival. Thanks y’all.

OK, but understand that the Carnaval activities on Cozumel are concentrated in the "downtown" section close to the water and don't affect the rest of the island all that much. I can see where it could be problematic, though, getting to, from, and into many of the restaurants in town.

All things considered I would agree with you; I've never had the desire to go to Carnaval on Cozumel. I prefer the Mardi Gras in Lafayette, LA. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom