Anyone a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told by a many people that the reason they did not go professional is because they would stop enjoying diving as a hobby. Many people told me that they started to look at their professional undertakings as duties and stopped having fun.
That's a real phenomenon and it certainly isn't limited to diving.

My opinion is that DM is only for folks who want to trade their time to a dive shop for boat rides with customers. AFAIK you don't get paid to be a DM, so it's really just a stepping stone on the way to instructor OR it meets your need for that trade. If you're someone who just likes helping others, DM is still a stepping stone on the way to instructor.

Most shops also expect their DM's to sell dive crap in a store, in addition to actually divemastering. I'd be insulted if I ever encountered this.

Now.. some people just like the extra dive training. If you throw away all the "business" stuff they teach in a DM course, you get a bit of that from DM. You'd probably be better off taking a master scuba diver course or getting into technical diving if this is what's driving you.

Don't get me wrong. I like DM's. They haul my heavy tanks around for me and show me the best stuff on the reef. I'm just pointing out that it isn't really for everyone.

I qualified as a DM but quickly realised it was compromising my diving enjoyment and preventing me from doing the type of diving I wanted to do.

I moved away from the pro/instruction side of the industry and much prefer my diving now.

Me too. But I am glad I trained. I gained alot of very valuable experience from it.

Now.. some people just like the extra dive training. If you throw away all the "business" stuff they teach in a DM course, you get a bit of that from DM. You'd probably be better off taking a master scuba diver course or getting into technical diving if this is what's driving you.

Not sure on all of the agencies, but I know at least with a few of them, MSD is a requirement to be a DM. That's actually how my DM class started out. Shop needed DM's so we got both certs for the cost of the MSD class plus the online materials for DM.

if you like working with students and certified divers go for it. Its a customer service job. don't burn out on it. take time to dive for yourself for fun.

A combination of what others have said,
  1. what is your motivation for doing the DM course?
  2. Do you intend to work as a DM, knowing that it's physical work and you won't make a lot of money?
  3. Do you want to go onto become an instructor?
If you answer no to question 2, then I would seriously reconsider the DM program. Once you are a DM, you will need to carry professional liability insurance and pay dues. In the American litigious environment, it's unwise to drop your insurance and/or dues for until you stop diving, even if you're not working.

I feel like I need to weigh in. I learned to dive in Saudi Arabia. There were things to do, but not a lot. I got my OW and AOW and absolutely loved diving and enjoyed going on the dive trips when a class was going. I lived in Riyahd in the middle of the country so this was a way to go to one of the coasts. I built up my dive count and picked up a few specialties while I was at it and eventually took Rescue and got my MSD merit badge. DM was next and only natural. I took the course and became a "working" DM which now meant I could go diving and not have to pay for it. It covered tanks, hotel, and air fare. I couldn't beat it if I tried. I also met some very nice ladies along the way which I wasn't complaining about. I lived in the water, either pool time or the Red Sea or Persian Gulf (we had to call it the Arabian Gulf while I was there). It was GREAT! I bought the insurance although in Saudi I didn't really need to because I couldn't get sued. I carried it for when I traveled. When I left Saudi Arabia I quit working as a DM and dropped the insurance. From some earlier traveling experiences I learned to dive on my AOW card not my DM card.
So, if you can derive some benefit from being a DM in a financial or other way, go for it. It also very good for training purposes and you can personally benefit from the skillset. But, if you don't see either a long term benefit such as a step on the Instructor ladder or like schlepping tanks and babysitting newbies and working in the LDS for free (generally), then skip DM course and take an intro to tech or something like it. Solo diver might be a good one.

If you have any questions, I'll be here all week. :)

Cheers - M²

I have over 30 years as an instructor and I still enjoy diving just for fun. Divemaster class prepares you to lead dives and and help in classes. Most DMs I know enjoy watching new divers go from novice to confident divers and of course finding an ever increasing group of dive buddies.

I wish that the PADI Master Diver was a non pro parallel course to the Dive Master, similar skill requirements but without the teaching element. (I have MSD but only because it was a freebee with PADI Asia after I got the Rescue diver and 5 specializes.)
I was under the impression that NAUI's Master Diver cert is like that. I just bought the manual for my own edification and may take the course someday. I enjoy learning more about diving, but don't really see myself going pro for the reasons OP stated. I already made a career out of my hobby of arguing with people; I don't need to monetize everything that brings me joy.

But, if you don't see either a long term benefit such as a step on the Instructor ladder or like schlepping tanks and babysitting newbies and working in the LDS for free (generally), then skip DM course and take an intro to tech or something like it. Solo diver might be a good one.

Hey M²

THAT WAS A MONEY QUOTE! Way to go bro (you are definitely an ugly brother from another mother, you mutha!)!

Tech 40 and solo is what I went for and damn glad I did. No quasi pro sheet for me.

I already made a career out of my hobby of arguing with people; I don't need to monetize everything that brings me joy.
(emphasis added by m²v²)

Hey Esprise Me,

Yeah, I am quite happy monetizing my avocation with my own money, my own way.

cheers,
m²v²

Back
Top Bottom