Issues flying into Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leman

Registered
Reaction score
Any issues with gear being messed with flying into/out of Nassau? Right now all my gear lives in a pelican case. Has my name and the name of the rescue squad stenciled on to it. Pelicans already bring enough attention so wondering if I should get some different luggage to travel with. I’m not worried about weight.

I always vote for something more discreet. There's no harm in it. I had no issues with my gear being messed with when I was in Nassau/Bimini/Freeport but I have it in a TNF rolling duffel, not a Pelican. Not as discreet as a Travelpro, Samsonite, etc., but I travel internationally a lot each year and never had issues. I never lock my bags, either...but I also don't put any electronics in there. Just clothing, dive gear, toiletries.

I have been in and out of Nassau 4 times in the last 2 years for diving and never had any issue.
I do not have my gear in a pelican case it is in a soft side Eddie Bower bag. I would think yours would be more secure than mine.

A Pelican is no more secure than any other luggage if using TSA approved locks as every baggage thief has master key copies.

No you are absolutely correct and as is normal I didn't really get the thought I had completed through my fingers...

What I meant by that was that with my softsides they wouldn't even need a set of keys...just a knife.

usually don’t even lock my bags. Just put a single small ziptie through the zipper or lock hole so I’ll know if it’s been opened.

I figured there were so many divers going through the airport there that it wasn’t much of an issue.

I always vote for something more discreet. There's no harm in it. I had no issues with my gear being messed with when I was in Nassau/Bimini/Freeport but I have it in a TNF rolling duffel, not a Pelican. Not as discreet as a Travelpro, Samsonite, etc., but I travel internationally a lot each year and never had issues. I never lock my bags, either...but I also don't put any electronics in there. Just clothing, dive gear, toiletries.

electronics and regs will be in my carry on. BP/W, fins, clothes, easily sourced/rented items will be in the pelican

electronics and regs will be in my carry on. BP/W, fins, clothes, easily sourced/rented items will be in the pelican

My preference is to not travel with a pelican. I do think it draws unnecessary attention - anecdotally speaking, I just returned from a trip from a ski destination and there was a small Pelican case that was checked in. Everyone that was at the carousel went out of their way to glance at it. Every other bag went by without second thought. I know many people travel with them for their protection. It really is not needed for basic dive gear. I think they're great for camera equipment, but even then, I urge people to get thinktank checked bag sizes instead for being discreet. I travel about 50-60K butt-in-seat miles a year with my dive gear and I never have it in a hard case. I pack my bag full (so it's taut) and protect my regs with my BC/wing/wetsuit/toiletry bag and boots at the very center of the bag. If one is worried about damage, it has never been an issue for me.

You could always get a outer bag to put around the pelican case to make it less conspicuous. However, based on what you stated you pack in the checked bag, i would just get a soft-sided piece of luggage. As it won't take up as much space at your destination, also great for being able to slide under bunks on LOBs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom