Advanced Trimix Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things we know today were not necessarily known 5 or 10 years ago and 5 or 10 years from now we may have a completely different set of beliefs. Just because someone has a normoxic card, that doesn't mean that they are current and up to speed on the latest beliefs. Here's an example, if they earned that normoxic card in 2010, they may very well believe deep stops are incredibly important to avoid getting bent.

So, in answer to your question, >> I << wouldn't assume anything about their knowledge and skills based simply on having a piece of plastic, and >> I << would cover the material, including "remediation", as necessary.
Well reasoned.

OK, I'll bite. Why?

ER is an allowable pre-req into the program through TDI. With IANTD, Technical Diver (their "ER") is an allowable pre-req into full trimix.
So when normoxic and hypoxic get combined because the student is going from 50m on air to 100m on trimix how many days and how many dives would such a course be?

So when normoxic and hypoxic get combined because the student is going from 50m on air to 100m on trimix how many days and how many dives would such a course be?
I really wish TDI would modify the standards to for advanced trimix to include the prerequisite X number of dives below 180 ft
That way the trimix and advanced could not be taught back to back. I won't teach a zero to hero trimix class but the standards don't explicitly preclude it.

I really wish TDI would modify the standards to for advanced trimix to include the prerequisite X number of dives below 180 ft
That way the trimix and advanced could not be taught back to back. I won't teach a zero to hero trimix class but the standards don't explicitly preclude it.
This is what I was getting at earlier in this thread. Seems like a big jump to go from ER to hypoxic trimix.

Maybe its not that big if its (eg) 18/45 at 200ft then 15/55 for 240ft dives in 8-10 days of diving and 10+ dives. I'm not sure how deep or how lean hypoxic has to get in TDI's universe. If you are supposed to be getting to 90+m then that seems like a stretch.

Pre requisites are ER and 100 dives, 25 deeper than 100'

4 Dives, 100 minutes of bottom time. Two dives to 230' minimum.

The class I seen went to 330 on the last dive, not sure of the depth on dive 1,2 or 3.

I'd certainly hope that at that level, common sense would prevail.

I just looked at the requirements for the person I seen teach it - much more realistic verses what TDI asks. He wants 15 tri mix dives in the 150-200' range and a recommondation from a tri mix instructor.

Slightly different approach when I progressed.
Had the 150' extended range on air. Was wanting to go further. Time to add some Helium into the mix. So I got a rebreather. Backpedaled as I started the rebreather. Basic 100' no deco until I was feeling comfortable. Went back and got a Normoxic 200' rating. My first breath of helium underwater was on a rebreather. My only breath of helium underwater is bail out. The trimix training was part of the Normoxic CCR class. The instructor knew it as I was going into it, never did anything with Helium before I started. I got a trimix class as part of my Normoxic class.
This has bumped me from 150' to 200' and I will be living happy there for a long time. Get enough dives in I may do a hypoxic class for a 100m rating. But I am in no hurry for that. I'm finding plenty of stuff to see in the 200' range. Not sure I want to be spending that much time hanging on deco.

I’m quite satisfied with my boring, predictable self.

First focused on being able to pass a stringent skills and drills underwater interview with any instructor from any agency as a gateway to any new courses.

Then a normoxic course.

Dive, dive, dive.

Then a hypoxic course (if I don’t get off the He train and catch the CCR train).

But I’m a bit of a training and standards zealot. If an agency required academic exams for technical diving be administered underwater, I’d choose it.

Who said anything about running normoxic and hypoxic courses back to back? Extended Range is a 180' cert, not a 150' cert, and personally, I would want the student to have some experience in the 160-180' range before jumping to full trimix.

Who said anything about running normoxic and hypoxic courses back to back? Extended Range is a 180' cert, not a 150' cert, and personally, I would want the student to have some experience in the 160-180' range before jumping to full trimix.
The OP wanted to go from ER to Advanced mix with no normoxic class. Presumably there would be normoxic dives as part of a class that is going from air at 180 to hypoxic mix. And you said it was "allowed" so I asked what the class would look like.

If its not progressing continuously from ER through normoxic to hypoxic then what is it?

OK, I'll bite. Why?

ER is an allowable pre-req into the program through TDI. With IANTD, Technical Diver (their "ER") is an allowable pre-req into full trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom