A few Coz questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my credit card for meals when possible. I've never had a problem paying in USD, but you do get hit with the gringo tax most places, taxis are bad. In October, there was a small exchange place just North of Casa Mexicana that the exchange rate was close to the true rate and I used them. I was supposed to have my passport but they let it slide. She did try to shortchange me $100 pesos but I'll chalk that up to a mistake...maybe. She also dropped one of my $100 dollar bills out of sight, then picked it up and said she couldn't take it...shenanigans? Didn't matter anyway, the next place I used it took it.

Nortes? You just roll the dice.

Restaurants-
DINNER- New Especias is my new favorite, get the Lionfish Marsala even if it is not on the menu. GET THE LIONFISH MARSALAAAAAAAAA Guidos was my old favorite but the scallops were not as good last time we were there. Casa Dennis- order the Sexy Shrimp even if it's not on the menu for the day. La Perlita- coconut crusted Lionfish, Lionfish ceviche, garlic grilled Lionfish, and garlic grilled lobster. I will go to Kooben Lab on our next trip.

LUNCH- Quattro Tacos 4 unique tacos for $8us, The Thirsty Cougar green chille (maybe poblano) chicken burrito, Lobster Shack- Lobster rolls, Cervesaria Punta Sur- GREAT wood fired pizza and beer (several IPA's too but IPA's taste like skunk ass soooooooo.... their amber beer is really good) La Chef- Lobster Bacon Sandwich, What used to be call Los Otates- cheap local food, Burritos Gordito- duhhhh burritos, Burrito King- duhhhhh burritos but grilled,

Breakfast- we stay at Casa Mexicana and they have a great breakfast buffet, arguably the best on the island. It runs around $10 for non guests. El Coffee Cozumel has great coffee and food, their desserts are good anytime of day. Banana cake and a vanilla milkshake is a great combination, even if you are gluten free and lactose intolerant it's worth it. If you are...it might not kill you, but probably still worth it. Zermat Bakery- great pastries, cookies, and breads to have as snacks in the room.

We also go to Mega supermarket several times for coconut water, electrolyte, other drinks, and their bakery is really good too. It's always good to bring snacks on the diveboat to feed the DM, Capitan, and the rest of the diver too.

My favorite beer is not available in the states, Bohemia Obscura is the best beer ever and is conveniently everywhere on the island. Prove me wrong...but that will require you buying me your favorite beer, and it will take 4 or 10 for me to decide.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

I use my credit card for meals when possible. I've never had a problem paying in USD, but you do get hit with the gringo tax most places, taxis are bad. In October, there was a small exchange place just North of Casa Mexicana that the exchange rate was close to the true rate and I used them. I was supposed to have my passport but they let it slide. She did try to shortchange me $100 pesos but I'll chalk that up to a mistake...maybe. She also dropped one of my $100 dollar bills out of sight, then picked it up and said she couldn't take it...shenanigans? Didn't matter anyway, the next place I used it took it.
Jay

Why would you put up with that hassle, nonsense and risk carrying a fistful of USD rather than using an ATM?

I use my credit card for meals when possible.
That's almost the last place I would use a credit card. Gringo tax, foreign money exchange fees (depending on the bank), and risk of having it abused. Yeah, you're protected, but it's still a hassle when the card gets turned off and needs to be replaced, and yeah it can happen in the US but I've only had it happen after use in Mexico.

Bank of America has agreement with Sandtadler in Mx. Use atm at bank or mega and no Trans fee exchange was 18.80 in Jan.
This must be new, as in the past I used my BofA debit card for peso cash withdrawals at the ScotiaBank ATM.

I haven't been there for a couple of years do to battle with cancer. I'm sure a few things have changed they always seem to. I'm looking forward to relaxing and doing some diving & eating.
1 Whats the best way to get pesos, at an ATM or a bank, & should I use cash or a debit card?
2 Has their been many port closures the last couple weeks or has that situation settled down?
We are staying at Hotel Cozumel it's all inclusive, we've stayed there before. They have a wonderful breakfast and decent lunch and snacks but the evening meal leaves a lot to be desired. So we are planning to eat dinner in the restaurants, looking to break the bank, but want to experience the local culture & flavors so finally.
3 What is your favorite place to eat and what is your favorite item on the menu.
Thanks in advance for your input.
Here is our 3 day guide for dining in Cozumel - Best Cozumel Restaurants | 3-day dining guide | stingrayvilla.com

Why would you put up with that hassle, nonsense and risk carrying a fistful of USD rather than using an ATM?
It's never been a hassle, nonsense, or a risk. My card gives me the current exchange rate (pay in pesos) and I don't think they charge a fee. My dive op gives a cash discount for US dollars so that's 800 to 1000 for the week. Hotel is paid for on Hotels.com so some meals, tips, cabs, and junk are all I need cash for. I carry some "Emergency cash" on me and use pesos for cabs. I've never had a problem using my credit card at popular restaurants or Mega.

Risk??? Not really worried about it. Pesos or dollars is the same risk. Extra cash, US or pesos, stays in the hotel safe.

What I do works fine for me, never been a problem in 8 years of Cozumel trips with 2-4 trips a year.

See y'all on the reefs.

Jay

That's almost the last place I would use a credit card. Gringo tax, foreign money exchange fees (depending on the bank), and risk of having it abused. Yeah, you're protected, but it's still a hassle when the card gets turned off and needs to be replaced, and yeah it can happen in the US but I've only had it happen after use in Mexico.
Just hasn't been a problem. We always call before we leave and put a Mexico travel notice on the card. I know you have decades of experience on the island, but our cash management plan has worked for us. We run the card in pesos, I don't think I get charged a conversion fee, and (while knocking on wood) have not had any charges that looked goofy. Funny though, my wife has never used her card in Mexico and had $2000 in charges from Indonesia appear last week.

I'll buy you a beverage while I have a Bohemia Obscura if we are ever there together. (I'll even put it on my card!) I'm just glad you are referencing me here instead of in the accidents and incidents forum...The Dandy Reaper!! Lol.

My favorite nephew just started a new job in Amarillo. Maybe we can take on The Big Texan some time!

Safe travels mi Amigo Scubaboard!

Jay

Since your system works well for you, then great. We're comparing ideas here which will vary in usefulness to others, but I've learned a lot reading of such.
My favorite nephew just started a new job in Amarillo. Maybe we can take on The Big Texan some time!
Have you ever been to Amarillo? It's 250 miles from Tuttle, but on the way to many places more interesting. It's a hundred miles from me, so I'd rather meet you in Coz sometime. :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom