Single first stage on twinset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The doubles will work just fine if only being used from one post (with more failure points as you mentioned), If you’re diving open water in conditions that are fine for single tank use. Other considerations however are; why don’t you just dive single tank? And where are you getting YOUR octo from if you’re loaning it to a buddy? Diving without redundancy is a compounding problem...What about a second spg and inflator hose?

Well, this guy only did it for 50 years, but what does he know.

View attachment 567564

The man did lots of great stuff...but

Well he was a chain smoker, thought diving on o2 would be cool until he passed out at 45', and did plenty of other stuff that would get him totally hammered on these forums if he did them today. Including diving a single 1st on a set of doubles.

repeating: in picture above, JYC is using a single output manifolded doubles (basically a "bigger tank"),

upload_2020-2-12_17-27-30.png

not a modern (isolation) dual outlet manifolded doubles with an open valve....

upload_2020-2-12_17-28-46.png

big difference!

You guys do know you can get a good din plug for $15, (not a plastic one) and then you have a single outlet manifold?

Thanks for all the replies. I realise that it makes no sense- I just want to do a few dives with my buddy who doesn't dive a lot and want to share a regulator if possible. I only have a twin-set and don't want to have to take it apart to do a dive! It is not something I plan to do for many dives, just a temporising measure.

I
The doubles will work just fine if only being used from one post (with more failure points as you mentioned), If you’re diving open water in conditions that are fine for single tank use. Other considerations however are; why don’t you just dive single tank? And where are you getting YOUR octo from if you’re loaning it to a buddy? Diving without redundancy is a compounding problem...What about a second spg and inflator hose?
Have two full sets of regulators for use with single tanks (2 first stages, 4 second stages). I only have one twinset and my buddy would be renting a single tank. So I have enough second stages for both of us, not not enough first stages of I am to use both!

You guys do know you can get a good din plug for $15, (not a plastic one) and then you have a single outlet manifold?
Would this prevent airflow if the valve was accidentally open? Presumably water entering isn't a concern in any scenario as the cylinder is pressurised?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom