Egyptair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ministryofgiraffes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If anyone is wondering... they do weigh your hand luggage in Toronto. Made me check my 2nd hand luggage bag as it was over 8kg...’sensibly’ I thew in a big plastic shopping bag last minute...I’m now wandering through the departure lounge with an oversized ‘finding dory’ bag full of lenses and camera equipment...and a completely empty bag is in checked luggage...

If anyone is wondering... they do weigh your hand luggage in Toronto. Made me check my 2nd hand luggage bag as it was over 8kg...’sensibly’ I thew in a big plastic shopping bag last minute...I’m now wandering through the departure lounge with an oversized ‘finding dory’ bag full of lenses and camera equipment...and a completely empty bag is in checked luggage...

they are usually quite strict as many intl carriers are. I am always let through with my 16kg camera bag given check in restrictions on electronics and fragile items but that’s it. I keep my other bag under 7kg. I travel with a Scott e vest trench for this reason in case I have any issues. I’ve never needed it but it makes for a great blanket. :) there is not a more appropriate a bag for a diver than finding dory!

I’m going to have to pick one of those coats up... they pretty much gave me a pass on my first piece of hand luggage but my second was 16kg...so it’s a fair cop....I’m travelling extra heavy this trip as I’m bringing kit for my nephew and brother, so I maxed out the 2 checked baggage as well...

toooooo muuucccchhh camera crap.....

On many carriers they will ask folks to voluntarily check a carry on bag if there is a full flight. But most seem to ignore the offer with the result being that anyone boarding with a zone 5 ticket is likely to have trouble finding space for their carry on. This causes some anxiety and ends up being a bit disruptive if someone has to store a bag several roles back of their assigned seat.

Having the weight limit enforced probably solves some of these problems, but is nonetheless disruptive for anyone such as the OP. Nothing glamorous about coach/economy travel.

I wouldn’t fly coach/economy with all of my luggage to be honest. It always ends up only being marginally more expensive to fly business class when you factor in all the extra bag charges with an economy ticket the bonus with Egypt air is you get 2 x hand luggage, but then realize that it’s an 8k limit, which is basically nothing....i’d also happily check everything and walk on the plane in shorts and a smile if there was a half decent chance of lenses etc making it to destination in one piece..

I lost 2 laptops in 5 years that came back with cracked screens after being requested to check my solo hand luggage bag at the gate because the plane was full, that was it for me..never again.

On many carriers they will ask folks to voluntarily check a carry on bag if there is a full flight. But most seem to ignore the offer with the result being that anyone boarding with a zone 5 ticket is likely to have trouble finding space for their carry on. This causes some anxiety and ends up being a bit disruptive if someone has to store a bag several roles back of their assigned seat.

Having the weight limit enforced probably solves some of these problems, but is nonetheless disruptive for anyone such as the OP. Nothing glamorous about coach/economy travel.
This is a standard Air Canada game that the smart (cheap) travellers play. Drag a largish second carry-on all the way to the gate and then gate check it for free. It comes out on the baggage carousel at your final destination. No need to pay for a checked bag.

They used to provide sky check service on the smaller planes but I have not seen that for a few years. The beauty of sky check was that you got a free bag stowed in the cargo bay but they gave it back to you as soon as you got off the plane. It did not go to the baggage carousel.

Back
Top Bottom