How do you wash/rinse your dive gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shower off in drysuit.
Let regs, fin straps sit in water after being thrashed around. hose rest of gear or submerge it.

Keep diving in the Great Lakes.

I fill up the bath tub, add a shoot of Dettol Laundry cleanser (disinfectant and removes odor) and soak everything in it. After that it gets a good rinse with fresh water and I dry it outdoors during summer or indoors on a laundry rack during winter.

A sizable plastic trough (a bathtub when I had an apartment); municipal water; an always pressurized rig; stir and soak.

Wash; rinse; repeat . . .

Keep diving in the Great Lakes.
How often do you rinse (I've heard it's a good idea once in a while due to minerals, etc. in the fresh water)?

I spray down my tanks and drysuit with a garden hose.

My wing gets disconnected from the backplate and rinsed internally via an adapter that connects that garden hose to the BC inflator mechanism.

The rest of my gear gets put in a large tub (or two if I've been diving with my camera rig) filled with that same hose, mixed with a pot of boiling water and some Slosh wetsuit cleaner. My base layer, socks, and dry glove liners go in the tub with the rest of my gear. Regs too, which is safe because I've got DIN first stages with dust caps that properly seal against the regulator O-rings.

After spending some time twiddling knobs and buttons to try to let fresh water in, I let the gear soak for a while before drying it on a collapsible clothes drying rack with a few dedicated hangers.

My main drysuit undergarment only gets washed when it starts to smell a little funky, at which time it gets tossed in the washing machine and hung to dry.

Take it in for annual service...It comes back clean and all the green is gone off the chrome.:rofl3:

How often do you rinse (I've heard it's a good idea once in a while due to minerals, etc. in the fresh water)?

My gear gets rinsed after each dive. My weekly dives are in fresh water.

I fill up the bath tub, add a shoot of Dettol Laundry cleanser (disinfectant and removes odor) and soak everything in it. After that it gets a good rinse with fresh water and I dry it outdoors during summer or indoors on a laundry rack during winter.

This is pretty much exactly what I do too.

Hang on rack, hose off. Standard garden hose. BCD gets a rinse inside as well. Just as I was taught during OW class. The small stuff get a soak while I'm hosing off the big stuff. If I dive freshwater, I just hang the gear up to dry.

Caveat: I dive dry, so no piss in my suit.

Back
Top Bottom