What are your thoughts on "Streamlined Regulator" configuration for primary donate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find that being able to hold the swivel to donate makes it easier for me to donate. Maybe it's just cause I have smaller hands but the swivel gives me a clear holding point and it isn't too difficult to keep it in place with a finger if needed. I have a 360 swivel on my primary because I find them much more comfortable than the 90 degrees just in regards of pulling on my reg and the restricted angles of the 90 degree

@Lorenzoid if you have to hand the rig off, there are some tricks to keep it coiled up with the bungee necklace from the secondary.

I will admit I'm not following. I'm hesitant to grab the second stage itself for the possibility of pressing the purge button.
The "smile and be happy" hand signal, also used to grab a regulator for donation. This is somewhat annoying with certain second stages due to the exhaust tee's *like this one*, and is impossible with side exhausts like Poseidon
85117680_10162895247230134_7513184779064311808_o.jpg

as it would be received
84276489_10162895247195134_2941364896186499072_o.jpg

You can also do the "split finger fastball" which we also teach. This has the advantage of being able to slide your index finger down to the purge button should you need it.
84179926_10162895247215134_5745808738942451712_o.jpg

84278283_10162895247160134_8764045191720992768_o.jpg

...if you have to hand the rig off, there are some tricks to keep it coiled up with the bungee necklace from the secondary...

That's a good trick. I'm not a good coiler and my coils used to fall apart even clipped on my rig. Someone showed me how to tie it and clip it, and it always works beautifully, even handing the rig up and stowing. It doesn't unravel. You just fold the long hose in half and loosely tie it, and then clip it to the D-ring.

To the OP, honestly, a long hose isn't any trouble. I got used to it very quickly. I'm petite and I wouldn't say there's a lot of extra hose when it's worn. On a larger person or with a drysuit, there's even less "extra" hose.

I use the streamlined config and I like it a lot. Moved away from my long hose. But, like some here mentioned, I went to a 44" hose and run it under my arm. Even more streamlined that way.

As for donate and side by side swimming, I use a poseidon reg, which has no "right side up". So you just rotate the mouthpiece towards the recipient and it is fine. No contortions necessary.

Wow, how many of you have ever been around a real out of air diver? They aren’t going to swim up to you and signal the OOA sign. They are going to rip the regulator out of your mouth and bolt for the surface. So you better have good muscle memory to locate your octo because your life will depend on it.

With that said, in 54 years of diving neither myself nor anyone I have been diving with has run out of air. But as an Instructor and diver, I have witnessed multiple OOA incidents.

Wow, how many of you have ever been around a real out of air diver? They aren’t going to swim up to you and signal the OOA sign. They are going to rip the regulator out of your mouth and bolt for the surface. So you better have good muscle memory to locate your octo because your life will depend on it.

With that said, in 54 years of diving neither myself nor anyone I have been diving with has run out of air. But as an Instructor and diver, I have witnessed multiple OOA incidents.

I always thought teaching students to signal OOA and "share air" was ridiculous. I mean, if someone is swimming towards me furiously signaling share air, I'm not going to sit back "okay, let me see if this person wants me to share air or not." And yeah, I better have a reg extended to them ready for them.

Better than normal octo, works easily with jacket BCs that don't have a good way to store the long hose, simple appearance (reduces adoption hesitancy), easy to use with minimal training, less hose to manage.

Is it *as good* as a long hose? I don't think so. But its way better than the normal confguration.

For everyone using a 44” hose, where do you get them? Usually the options are pretty fixed (I usually buy mine from DGX).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom