Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aldora has a great reputation, while I have dived with Blue XTC and 3Ps - all great Ops with the differences already well described here, but then competition is tight on the island so there are dozens of great Ops along with a few cattle boat Ops I wouldn't want to dive with, and I've been on some of those. When y'all feel like trying someone new tho, you really should try Salty Endeavors. Henry is doing a great job, has two nice boats, his crews handle trips very well along with some comfort amenities, and he is very easy to work with on scheduling.

The "herding " comments about Aldora might be with newer divers, or new to Aldora but the same can be said about 3P's. The surfacing as a group thing has never been an issue for me and I have seen several divers surface earlier than the rest of the group.
It is Aldora’s stated policy confirmed by Dave here on Scubaboard repeatedly. It seems there may be some DM’s that are more lax on this policy then others. Our second day diving we were placed with the “regulars” for a lionfish hunt at El Isolate and Punta Sur. On one dive that trip (again with the “regulars) the DM just randomly decided no diver could pass her on the dive. We all had to follow her. It was a “test” for her to decide if part of the group could do their planned northern dive the next day. She was an excellent DM, just very controlling. She even had rules for what topics (politics) could not be discussed on the boat.

They were taking a lunch break on their surface interval?! Midmorning? Time is money for a commercial boat owner. I am surprised they allowed such. Divers should eat breakfast before diving if it's important, then wait until after for lunch. Good grief.

Sorry my statement was a metaphor. Picking either of those ops is like going to a fine restaurant yet letting each person pick their own course.

Either will be awesome and well prepared. But if you don't like veal, you will never enjoy the veal dish.

Each of the ops we are talking about do what they do very, very well. The differences are more about individual taste.

Interesting thought, @uncfnp —that it may vary depending on DM. I have only dived with Aldora twice, but both times my experience was similar to what Streydog said. I got the impression there can be some leeway, depending on circumstances.

For any of you who have been diving with Aldora and/or Tres Pelicanos, appreciate feedback on which you prefer and why?

I dove with Tres Pelicanos; had a great time. Years ago dove on a cruise ship stop with Living Underwater; had a really good experience then, too. But the question is, what's right for you?

If you want to do a 2-tank morning trip, and that's it, personally I'd lean toward Aldora so they could be 2 longer dives.

If you want to do mornings and afternoons, things get more interesting. IIRC, Aldora did 2 morning and 1 afternoon dives? I know Tres Pelicanos did 2 morning and 2 afternoon (if they had enough divers for the afternoon trip, which wasn't many and I never missed). In theory, given the choice between 3 longer and 4 'normal' dives, if total dive duration for the day were roughly equivalent, would get down to this:

1.) With 3 longer dives on a steel 120, that's one less time you have to gear back up, and climb back up into the boat. I'm lazy and that was a serious consideration.

But...

2.) If over several days you do 4 dives/day instead of 3, you might in theory be likely to hit more sites. So if you want to have hit more sites on your trip, that's a draw.

I think either would be fine. And Blue XT Sea gets glowing reviews on Scuba Board, and their owner posts helpful info. here, too.

I dove with Tres Pelicanos; had a great time. Years ago dove on a cruise ship stop with Living Underwater; had a really good experience then, too. But the question is, what's right for you?

If you want to do a 2-tank morning trip, and that's it, personally I'd lean toward Aldora so they could be 2 longer dives.

If you want to do mornings and afternoons, things get more interesting. IIRC, Aldora did 2 morning and 1 afternoon dives? I know Tres Pelicanos did 2 morning and 2 afternoon (if they had enough divers for the afternoon trip, which wasn't many and I never missed). In theory, given the choice between 3 longer and 4 'normal' dives, if total dive duration for the day were roughly equivalent, would get down to this:

1.) With 3 longer dives on a steel 120, that's one less time you have to gear back up, and climb back up into the boat. I'm lazy and that was a serious consideration.

But...

2.) If over several days you do 4 dives/day instead of 3, you might in theory be likely to hit more sites. So if you want to have hit more sites on your trip, that's a draw.

I think either would be fine. And Blue XT Sea gets glowing reviews on Scuba Board, and their owner posts helpful info. here, too.
I have done a few 4 a day dives with Aldora but it depends on the time of year. During the Summer you can get 4 dives in during the day, when the days get shorter the 4th dive is a night dive.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. My husband and I did dive with Aldora about a year ago, we had a short stay in Coz and did 2-3 days diving. Aldora was fine. No complaints. Was I thrilled with the steel tanks and ability to dive super long dives? Not sure. I mean it was nice, but we are not "air hogs" and typically come up with plenty of psi on our diving anyway. If I have about 60min underwater, that's fine.

Also, when emailing Aldora to get information on diving/packages for a potential longer trip this summer, not terribly impressed with front desk staff and responses (not clear, only addressing one question and not others) So would we dive with them again? Sure. But curious about the other popular and respected ops mentioned here too.

I do like the idea of two tank "shorter" dives, lunch and then an afternoon dive, maybe not every day but on 2-3 days of 6 days of diving, so I am leaning towards 3Ps. And since we are not - yet - feeling loyal to one dive op over another, might be nice to try someone else this time.

. . .
Also, when emailing Aldora to get information on diving/packages for a potential longer trip this summer, not terribly impressed with front desk staff and responses (not clear, only addressing one question and not others) So would we dive with them again? Sure. But curious about the other popular and respected ops mentioned here too. . . .

Since @Dave Dillehay stepped back from running Aldora, is quality control getting lax? Time will tell.

I have no experience with Aldora, but I can attest to the fact that 3P communication is superb with Jeanie! She will get back to you even when she is off the island very quickly.

If you choose 3P, have Jeanie make your reservations at CM. She gets a great rate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom