Diving without a depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with an SPG and depth gauge on my console and 2 air-integrated wrist computers. On a recent Galapagos dive trip, both wrist computers were crapping out on me (learned later it was a transmitter problem). My DSMB is on a spool and I have knotted the line incrementally at various depth intervals. I like having the console backup for the following reasons:

1) In the Galapagos, I did not want to abort the dive out of concern for shortening my buddy's dive. My console was reliable "backup".
2) If, for some reason, I had to lend my gear to another diver (perhaps in an emergency), the console would provide critical depth/gas information.

I also travel with a "backup" transmitter.

A goal of mine is to learn how to safely/securely change batteries and o-rings for computers/transmitters--I'm such a techno-fossil......can barely manage my cell phone.:(

On boat dives or dives with a majority of time below 30' I use a computer, dive watch and analog depth gauge and SPG in my console. 30' or less I don't take the computer.
I get why you don't think it necessary, but why would you not take it anyway? I have never found that a wrist computer gets in the way.

I get why you don't think it necessary, but why would you not take it anyway? I have never found that a wrist computer gets in the way.
Likewise. I always have my dive computer on no matter what dive I am doing. Doesn't matter if it is a 10m bimble, 30m drift dive or exploring a prepared wreck. With the DC I can always download and review the dive at a later date (with regards to ascent rates/ SAC/NDL remaining etc). Hard to do with no hard info other than overall time/depth.

I just use my dive computer. Recreational diving. My back up is a knot at 15f on my reel in case I need to identify a safety stop.

I’m pretty sure I can guess 15-20ft depth and count to 360 if I really had to.

Jim

tying knots on your SMB line are a good plan too.

Three knots at 30 ft, 2 at 20ft and 1 knot at 15ft covers most required stops

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom