Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve been diving with Aldora quite a bit, at least one trip a year since 2011, and I have never been herded. Yes, we descend and ascend as a group, but in between I get quite a bit of freedom. As long as the guide can see my bubbles, it’s been fine. There have been a few times ascending with the group has been a limit on my dive, but not often. Aldora almost always does a good jo grouping people. If 80-90 minute dives don’t do much for you, 3Ps would probably be a good choice.

I’ve been diving with Aldora quite a bit, at least one trip a year since 2011, and I have never been herded. Yes, we descend and ascend as a group, but in between I get quite a bit of freedom. As long as the guide can see my bubbles, it’s been fine. There have been a few times ascending with the group has been a limit on my dive, but not often. Aldora almost always does a good jo grouping people. If 80-90 minute dives don’t do much for you, 3Ps would probably be a good choice.
But those extra few minutes come at a premium. So far this trip I have completed 10 dives for an average of 69 minutes a dive. Of course others milage on 80’s will vary. Plus shorter surface intervals means more time to spend enjoying the island.

And has anyone mentioned 3P’s will manage your wetsuits where Aldora will not? This is a big factor for some staying in town without adequate facilities to clean and hang suits. Much less having to shlep the suits to and from the boat.

B57B5E39-3FB9-450A-BE3E-FD81978401DE.jpeg

Currently diving with 3P's and having a great time. The boats, captains, and DMs are all great. I won't hesitate to come back and dive with them again. Haven't dove the other two ops but 3P's is great.

We log 80 to 100( together) dives a year with 3P. They are tops in our estimation! From top to bottom, all folks do their very best to see that you have a pleasant, seamless vacation. Been diving Cozumel a long time as well as many other places but we always return to 3P in Cozumel year after year.

So, my point of view and I've never dove with Aldora. I've used 3Ps for the last four years and before that I used many of them when they were at Blue Angel

Positives:
- they really do want to please and will make every effort to make sure you get what you expected.
- I love the freedom the DMs give me (and everyone else). Begin your ascent at 700 PSI, pretty much only rule. I'm not a "deep diver" so although I think they had a depth limit, it doesn't matter to me since i'm not going that deep
- accurate and easy payment - pretty much pay when you are done, don't worry about anything before then (outside of a $50 deposit)
- in general, very flexible on what sites to dive. typically boat decides.
- I like the timing of the morning dives, the long surface interval at Money Bar and then the afternoon dives.

Areas for improvement:
- I really dislike the whole "do we get a taxi", "can we squeeze everyone in the pickup", "anyone want to ride in back (that was today)" aspect of getting back to the shop. Since my only other experience was years of Blue Angel who have their own dock, I'm not sure how other shops handle this. Is just always seem to be a cluster *uck at the end of every dive.
- accuracy of afternoon divers -- I'm a solo diver and I get that afternoon divers are "when available" but the disconnect between Jeanie and either Pony (or the shop in general) hits me at least once a trip. But per point one, they do fix it, it just causes unnecessary anxiety for me. I'm down here right now and at the end of today's afternoon dive, the question was, "Tom did you want to dive the afternoon tomorrow? We are full". And my less than friendly response was "yes, I can forward you Jeanie's email, if you need it". Which was immediately followed by "don't worry you will be on the Loan Shark boat" -- why even make me go through that?

Unknowns:
- I have not checked pricing relative to other shops --

The areas for improvement aren't enough for me to shop around as I really like the comfort I have with the shop -- I'd just love to see those areas get better.

tom

And has anyone mentioned 3P’s will manage your wetsuits where Aldora will not? This is a big factor for some staying in town without adequate facilities to clean and hang suits. Much less having to shlep the suits to and from the boat.
I would never ask anyone else to "manage" my pissy wetsuit. I carry my one mil jumpsuit in a mesh tote bag, rinse in my shower, hang it there to dry, then carry it to the boat the next morning. Last winter I did get chilled the first day of diving in my one mil so added my 3 mil shorty over that, stored in a cotton tote bag, and left it with my Op to store with my other gear, but with instructions that they didn't need to do anything to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom