CoronaVirus Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you should definetely go and don't worry too much. As Philippines is anyhow closed for flights from China, the risk is rather low.

Anyhow, as a pre-caution you could take a mask for you and your daughter and wear them on the airports in Philippines. Moreover, take a hand santitizer and use them on/after the airports.

I am actually living in Shanghai and I am currently here and everything is fine but only very quiet.

I took Clorox wipes on my trip to India. I am there now and am not worried about this virus.

As Trump said, it should be done by April with smart containment.

I am more afraid of dengue than corona virus. But am headed to the Philippines in March anyway, insect repellent at the ready.
If you were already prepared to expose your 16-year-old to dengue, chikungunya, zika, hepatitis A&B, measles, tuberculosis and travellers’ trots... what’s one more?
Not meaning to scare you away, just offering some perspective.

As an expat who lives in Asia (Beijing), what I can share is that a lot of the experts think this will all simmer down once warmer weather comes.

As others said, take the proper precautions and you should be fine.

Thanks everyone for your posts! I still haven't made a decision, but it's nice to get everyone's opinion.

D_Fresh, you asked what area of the Philippines we would be diving. We will be diving Malapascua, Cabilao, and Dauin, although I'm not sure that the specific locations matter with regard to Coronavirus concerns.

Thanks again,

DougieG

How reliable are your sources BHWookie?

I just heard that from some folks who work in the US Embassy, and a western doctor in Beijing. SARS officially ended in summer, and apparently warm weather helps.

But I am neither a scientist nor medical professional myself. ‍♂️

We all want it to go away. But I don't think there's any data yet that supports that it will be gone within the next few months. We don't even know the r0 for certain. Initial estimates were that it's low. Then that it is much worse. If it's high, even small mistakes in containment result in large outbreaks. What about long term effects? No data at all.

Stats from the area are unreliable at best. Propaganda at worst. Mix in over-reaction and fear on one side, underestimation and lack of understanding on the other. Not to mention politicians and politics.

Unfortunately OP, and many others, have to make decisions without clear info.

I would take guesses on things like heat ending it and hopeful positivity like support the dive industry, with a grain of salt. And I wouldn't believe anything a politician says. Everything I've read from scientists and doctors, suggest low risk of individual infection. But high risk that the Philippines, US and other countries will get a large number of cases at some point in the near future.

Either way, there's almost certain to be continued impacts to travel and tourism for months. I'm not Filipino. But I love the Philippines, speak the language, and have been all over there. But I'd cancel and wait til 2021, for financial reasons mostly, health reasons a bit.

The Philippine government has put a ban in place for all Philippine citizens to fly to Korea unless you're a over seas worker. Also a ban on Koreans from the one infected province to fly into the Philippines. Just hoping a ban for those traveling through Korea to Manila isn't put into place. If that happens I'm hoping Asiana airlines will issue a refund of my plane ticket from the states in time to book a direct flight to Manila on Philippine airlines from Los Angeles or San Francisco. I'm sure a lot of people are crossing their fingers hoping this virus will start to diminish soon--but not looking good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom