Shearwater Teric wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, sorry, I can't. My Teric ownership has not been uncomplicated. I had my 1st Teric for about 100 dives before the screen went black. It was not entirely trouble free before that as 10-20% of the time it would not calculate the SAC of a dive despite having the beginning and end pressures. It was with this computer that I noticed that the Teric GTR generally ran shorter than my Oceanic VT3 ATR. I have used the VT3 for almost 10 years/1450 dives. I never recorded or took photos of the difference, it seemed larger early in the dive, shorter later, but may have been about the same proportion. I was generally busy learning SurfGF and generally enjoying my diving. I sent this computer in for repair and got back the serviced computer. Unfortunately, the AI quit working on the 2nd day, they thought, a bad antenna.

This time Shearwater sent me a new unit. I have only done 6 dives on this computer. I paid only casual attention to the GTR, it's my impression that is still running shorter than my VT3. I have always run the Teric with my SS gas consumption, as small as it is, added to the end gas, in an attempt to make the two computers equal. I have a two week trip to Bonaire coming up in April and will have the opportunity, in a very relaxed atmosphere, to do a better job of quantifying the difference, if there still is one.

Sorry for the long, nonanswer

Reactions: Jay
I would agree that is how there teric operates, which I do not agree with and is why I suggested to shearwater a RMV cal should be an option vs SAC. Maybe I did not make my point clear. If I make a plan for my dive based on the volume of gas I have this will be my limiting factor. Yes the GTR calc is based on the drop over time, but I would like it or another setting to account for the volume of gas i have left which is going to vary from tank to tank based on it operating specs. All I am saying is that with a RMV readout it will limit the math I have to do under water and a GTR that does account for the volume of gas I have makes for simple math. Sure if your at 100ft and you stay there and your sac is 30psi/min and you have 300psi in your tank and the your reserve is 0psi then you have 10 minutes at that depth which is how the teric operates. A computer to that has something similar to the features I would like to see on the teric for gas calculations is the Atomic cobalt. Yes their GTR is calculated by pressure drop over time also.

@sharkguy05
I often use my teric to monitor my breathing rate. I look at my SAC rate just after decent and hitting my depth and after doing any activity such as grabbing a lobster which would cause my breathing rate to increase. I average an RMV of about .45 cf/min but I know if I'm keeping that number below .50cf/min, I'll have enough air for what I expect to do on any particular dive I plan.

I also use two different types of tanks: AL80s in the carribbean and HP100s in Florida. So here's how I track my breathing rate with the Teric SAC display:

An AL80 has 77.4cf of air at a working pressure of 3000psi. Therefore, an RMV of .50cf/min would have a corresponding SAC rate of [(3000psi/77.4cf)*(.50cf/min)] = 19 psi/min.

An HP100 has 100cf of air at a working pressure of 3442psi. Therefore, an RMV of .50cf/min would have a corresponding SAC rate of [(3442psi/100cf)*(.50cf/min)] = 17 psi/min.

So, depending on which tank I'm using, I simply make sure my breathing rate is under either 19psi/min or 17psi/min.

Back
Top Bottom