best time/place for DIR-F?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aalbinger

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello.

So I'm a fairly new diver. One and a half years since PADI OW certification, picked up PADI rescue diver this last spring. I have about 35 dives logged. I've built my own aluminum backplate and purchased a set of apex atx50 regs with the long hose/ bungee. Whoppie so I got some gear and dove with it a bit.

I've purchased and read the DIR Fundamentals book. Now I'm really wanting to take the DIR-F course. However, I live in Iowa and there really aren't any classes around here that don't require travel. So, my question is what is the best time and place to take DIR-F?

I'm looking for a "slow time" if there is such a thing. Obviously, with only 35 dives I've got a long ways to go before mastering bouyancy and other skills. (I dove in cenotes in Mexico and didn't have any problem not touching anything or easily hovering at any depth we happened to be at) I really want to take the course in an environment where I can learn a lot and not feel that I'm holding any other team members back.

Also, since I have to travel I would be very interested in hearing where people think a good and fair priced place to take the class is.

For those of you who have taken DIR-F would you recommend a time/place?

-Andrew

I should also mention that my folks live in Ft. Myers, Florida. Is DIR-F offered anywhere withing daily driving distance of there?

aalbinger:
However, I live in Iowa and there really aren't any classes around here that don't require travel. So, my question is what is the best time and place to take DIR-F?
Welcome to ScubaBoard.

The best time is now. The best place is wherever you're gonna be diving. DIR-F is also a roadshow. It comes to you, provided you have about five friends who also want to take it.

PM MHK, who is on this board. He is the master of disaster, and has answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet. Alternately, PM Brando, who is also on this board. Either one can square you away.

Due to cost of hotel rooms, etc, your very best bet is to look around where you live and try to find another five guys who want to take the course (Hint: use ScubaBoard.) Don't forget to check with the staff of whatever dive shack you frequent. They may be interested, or at least willing to check it out if they won't admit to being interested. They might even let you use their classroom, and could help in finding the other students. It may take a bit more work on your part to set it all up, but doing the course on your home turf generally works pretty well.

Of course, you can also fly somewhere else to do it, if it doesn't work out. Chat with MHK first, however, and listen to what Budda says. Chances are likely he can show you the way.

Lots more information here:
http://www.gue.com/classroom/index.shtml

Good luck,

Doc

Doc Intrepid:
Chat with MHK first, however, and listen to what Budda says. Chances are likely he can show you the way.

Good luck,

Doc

First of all, Doc has it right on all accounts.

I've called Michael many things. I've heard him called many things... this is a new one for me. Too funny. Doc, you rule.

I took my DIR/F from MHK. Had the best weekend.

---
Ken

Definitely many options.

Take the class as soon as humanly possible. The sooner you take it the less time you have for less-than-ideal techniques to establish a muscle memory, costing you more time to unlearn. I'd say that for fundies, taking it sooner is more important than taking it on your home turf. A good fundies instructor will give you a good idea how to train. So techniques learned in "easier" conditions, can be interpolated to you home turf when you begin to train effectively at home.

Ft. Myers... how far is Ft. Lauderdale? lots of classes there

Pros and cons to road show vs. travelling to your instructor. Often the road show will require you to do more logistics, such as picking up instructors, finding them tanks, hotels, pool for the swim test. If you travel to an instructor, they often have the contacts for pool, lecture space, and hotel suggestions all lined up. Of course, if you travel, each student has to pay airfare vs. splitting 1-2 instructors fare 6 ways.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

My advice is to take the class ASAP and to take it where they have an established setup. The drive to Brownies in Ft. Lauderdale shold not be too bad from Ft. Myers, but you might want to consider lining up a hotel for the night of the 1st diving day. You will probably be sore in places youhave never been sore before. In my class on of the instructors, who is also a very busy cave instructor and cave diver, remarked that even he was a bit tired and sore from holding the arch position.

For me this was the best money I have spent on a scuba related class. Now I just need to get in the water to get the techniques down. Luckily we seem to have a pretty active DIR group close to me.

how bout taking DIR-F in 2005 on the beautiful island of Maui? really . . .no joke . . . I'm trying to find a few folks over here who would like to take it so we can bring Joe Talavera over to teach it - But you might consider a combined vacation and DIR-F. Plus you could get lots of nice shore dives in during your stay and have time to practice what you learn in clear warm water before heading home. I'm at about the same place as you with 27 dives so far and really wanting to take DIR-F myself.
ok - the commercial for the Maui tourism board is over . . .

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I liked Doc's advice - the best time is now - I'm just trying to make "now" come a little faster for myself over here - lol

gentlegiant:
The drive to Brownies in Ft. Lauderdale shold not be too bad from Ft. Myers,

My sister lived in Ft. Meyers and brother in Boca Raton, just north of Lauderdale. I'd recommend against the daily drive during the course. It's like 2 to 3 hours each way across alligator alley. I'd pay for the 2 or 3 nights you'll need for a hotel in the area, relax and perhaps enjoy the company of your fellow classsmates...

aalbinger:
Hello.

So I'm a fairly new diver. One and a half years since PADI OW certification, picked up PADI rescue diver this last spring. I have about 35 dives logged. I've built my own aluminum backplate and purchased a set of apex atx50 regs with the long hose/ bungee. Whoppie so I got some gear and dove with it a bit.

I've purchased and read the DIR Fundamentals book. Now I'm really wanting to take the DIR-F course. However, I live in Iowa and there really aren't any classes around here that don't require travel. So, my question is what is the best time and place to take DIR-F?

I'm looking for a "slow time" if there is such a thing. Obviously, with only 35 dives I've got a long ways to go before mastering bouyancy and other skills. (I dove in cenotes in Mexico and didn't have any problem not touching anything or easily hovering at any depth we happened to be at) I really want to take the course in an environment where I can learn a lot and not feel that I'm holding any other team members back.

Also, since I have to travel I would be very interested in hearing where people think a good and fair priced place to take the class is.

For those of you who have taken DIR-F would you recommend a time/place?

-Andrew

I should also mention that my folks live in Ft. Myers, Florida. Is DIR-F offered anywhere withing daily driving distance of there?

Hi Andrew,
I think if you do a bit of looking around, the prices for the DIR-F class are all pretty standard. ($330, that includes tuition, GUE cert fee, and Instructor expenses).
The class has a tendency to "even the playing field". So I wouldn't worry about holding the other students up or "being the anchor" in the class. In fact, quite often the newer divers have an easier time learning due to the fact that there is not a ton of "unlearning" of bad habits to accomplish. My personal opinion (fwiw) is that those who do very well in the class tend to have a great attitude and are there primarily to learn, not get a card.
There is a class on the books for June in Milwaukee. I'm guessing that's a 4 hour drive for you.
Hope that helps a bit. As a few have already mentioned, Mike (or myself) are always available to answer any questions and we're happy to help you out.

take care and dive safe!---brando
ps. I'll be in Ft Myers from 10 to 20 Feb. If you'd like to go for a dive and see some of the material you'd work on in class, I usually take a day or two to head across state for some fun dives...or I'm happy to meet in Ft. Myers area for a beer and I love to talk diving.
Also, Dean Marshall is in Ft. Lauderdale and so is Cody Gardner...both do a great job w/the DIRF.

Brian Gilpin:
Hey aalbinger

Weve got a class goin on out here Jan 21-23. Love to see you join us. Check out www.Subtidal.net for details.

Great to see that a few of us SB'ers will be in the class. My fellow DM will unfortunately not be taking the class with us. He has ordered a new Signature Series DUI that will not be shipped from the factory until 1/20/04, and would like to wait and take Fundamentals in his suit for obvious reasons.

Chris, Brian, Chris' wife, others that are in the class - You guys available for a pre-fundies get-to-know-you dive sometime in January?

Mel

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom