Sealife DC2000 what’s next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chanly83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went from a Olympus TG4 to a DC2000 with a Sea&Sea YS01 and Sea Dragon 4500 pro video light. After a year and half with the sealife and a few trips under my belt I am ready for something new. I like the idea of the compactness but with a little more oomph! Maybe a Sony RX100vii with dual Sea&Sea D2Js and Keldan video lights. Any help would be great. I don’t mind going larger or more expensive but I just got back from Cozumel and one of my instabuddies flooded his $4000 Nikon, I saw his camera bag on the way home and it seemed like a rather large paperweight.
Any help would be appreciated. No loyalties towards brands, size, weight or price. I just want the next step to keep my interest peaked for longer than 18 months.

It would help if you told us what you do with your pics and videos. If they are for the web then there is one level of quality; if they are for international competitions or film festivals that will be another level.
Bill

@bvanant for now it’s just for friends and family. Eventually I think sending a photo in for a competition would be interesting. Just looking for something better than I have now. Main question is will the RX100VII be mind blowingly better?

For wide angle, somewhat better, for macro not so much.
I would strongly recommend a M4/3 solution, Olympus or Panasonic in a good housing. I have been using mine for more than 6 years, and I have been using the EM-1 Mark II for more than 3 years. Probably 1600 dives between the two systems. In any case there are a number of solutions at various price points, the EM-10 Mark III is great but I would recommend one of the 20 MP versions. That along with the 60 macro lens and one of the wide angle lenses (8 mm fisheye or 12-17) you will be set
Bill
Attached is a ladybug I shot in Komodo last month
ladybug1.jpg

A lot more options with m43 - you can use a true fisheye lens for wide angle, get to 1:1 macro with the Olympus 60mm macro, some nice rectilinear wide options for wrecks or other shooting. Get that and a couple of INON Z-330s and that can keep you going for a long time. The RX-100 is the same size sensor, it might be slightly better IQ but it won't be night and day. The AF and wet lens options may be better than what you can use with the sealife but I don't see it as a big step up. I use the EM-1 MkII and am very happy with it it. The III has just come out but does not have a huge number of new features for the UW photographer You should be able to pick up a EM-1 mkII at a good price right now.

Now I am starting to look at the Sony A6600. But things could change. Sony seems to bring stuff out around July or August, so before I dump a large sum of money into a new system I’ll see what’s coming.

I would suggest not to look solely at the camera but to focus on the total system - what lenses are available and for how much and available housings and port options. Also look at things like battery power which varies widely among offerings.

The size of domes for rectilinear wide angle lenses scales with sensor size. So for 14-16mm focal length (full frame equivalent) lenses you would be looking at 170-180mm domes for m43, 200-210 mm domes for APS-C and 230mm for full frame . Each size increase is a significant size and weight hit for travel. For all lenses depth of field goes down as sensor size goes up so you end up stopping down more. f8 on m43, f11-13 on APS-C and f16 on full frame, meaning you need more flash power.

Look at things like flash sync speed - it maxes out at 1/160 for SONY APS-C cameras, while m43 achieve 1/250 - can be important for wide angle work. For me m43 is a sweet spot, big enough but easy to travel with prices for lenses are quite low compared to bigger systems and a lot of very good quality lenses are available: two fisheyes, some good rectilinear wide options, some excellent mid range zooms and 4 macro lenses to choose from. The Oly 20MP sensor in particular is very good and gives cameras like the Nikon D500 a run for its money.

Now I am starting to look at the Sony A6600. But things could change. Sony seems to bring stuff out around July or August, so before I dump a large sum of money into a new system I’ll see what’s coming.

I just went with the Sony A6400. If you go Sony I would recommend that over the A6600. The reason is that the IBIS is not that useful UW and I managed without it since I got my first camera in 1964. The big thing is the A6400 has an onboard flash, the A6600 does not. That leaves you dependent upon other party flash triggers for your strobes or wired sync. And many lenses have OSS and work fine for surface needs. I did add the UWT trigger but I can revert to camera onboard flash if needed. The UWT trigger adds a lot of flexibility in theory to the system. I will let you know how it works out. But, it appears to address several issues. The Sony always gives a preflash, the A6400 and A6600 have been sped up over the previous generation per reviews I have read on this. But the UWT trigger eliminates the onboard strobe and preflash entirely when it is engaged in the hotshoe.

The Sony autofocus is amazing, the sensor and the engine are amazing and the larger sensor is known to have greater dynamic range than M4:3 systems. Look at the purchase as a system, can it do what you want as a total package? I wound up with Nauticam because their housings integrate with the camera so fully that the camera is EASIER to operate in the housing than in hand and all controls including flash ON and OFF are available. And they had the wonderful WWL-1 semi-fisheye water contact wide angle lens for a FOV of 130+.

I looked at corporate profiles, Olympus, Nikon and Canon have been bleeding cash like stuck pigs in their camera and consumer imaging businesses. Only Sony made a handy profit. There were rumors of Olympus filing. Sony recently has allowed other party lens manufacturers more access to their mount so that should improve lens selections in the future.

The bad with the Sony, well, the 1/160 is not that big of a deal, I wish it were 1/200 but 1/60 was standard for film SLRs forever. I will just have to work with it. The battery life is CIPA 410 shots, mediocre at best and there is no proper, dedicated fisheye lens. But Nauticam addresses this with an onboard battery pack that does seem to provide at least a 50% battery boost and an amazing aluminum housing and the WWL-1 lens to cover my wide angle (kit lens and Sigma 19mm f2.8). I am also setting up for my old Inon UWL100/dome with the Rokinon 24mm f2.8 but it looks like there I may need to go to a shorter port (Macro Port 35) or use with the kit 15-50mm f3.5.

I kept going to stores wherever I could and handling the various cameras, none of them had the autofocus engine the Sony cameras have. And I like the form factor for surface photography.

There is no perfect camera, just a bunch of compromises. Full frame, well, the size, cost and lack of portability is just a killer for me. I can see it for a professional who shoots for money or a gifted enthusiast moving up to pro level or somebody who can afford it and a man servant to tote it, sure go ahead.

N

There is no wrong answer for me. I asked the lady that hopefully I will be receiving some training from her while I will be doing some other dive training, she shoots Sony and recommended the a6600. My only concern in getting my next setup is that it will carry me from now until a new camera revolution happens, I win the lottery or something seriously wrong happens (the rig is stolen or something). I have been going by camera stores and playing with different cameras, I also talked the wife into renting a rig thru a big UW store and going on one of their trips, once i get and idea of what I want. I am blessed with a wife that doesn’t ask what I spend as long as the bills are covered, we don’t/won’t have kids, my new job should double if not triple our income. So I guess my question is changing, should I go from the DC2000 to what size? If I have say a $15,000 budget and so far I like shooting fish, reef scapes, fascinated by wrecks, will be going to Bahamas in December to do the shark dives and have an interest to eventually go down the cave route. Macro produces some beautiful stuff but so far I don’t seem to have the eye to find them yet, maybe it will come. Also I like taking videos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom