Photographers Using Doughnut BP/W BCD (dump valve location)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try that rig that’s the cover of the video I posted... works great for big or small rigs, very durable, and unlike a simple tether, it lets you clip the whole camera off quick and tight...

I would rethink this if I were you - bigger issue than where the dump valve is located. You should be able to get both hands free for safety reasons. You should be able to swap hands and clip the camera off if necessary. There are many situations (entanglement, free flow, gas sharing, etc..) where you really benefit from having the use of both hands. Trying to do an emergency procedure with a camera tied to your wrist sounds difficult.

Here is a video that I made for the class I give at Beneath the Sea on photography in challenging conditions. This is one option, where the tether is clipped to my crotch strap D ring, but I have a second clip that I use to clip it off tightly if I need both hands. Could also do this with a shoulder anchor point, etc...

I have mine set up almost exactly like this - I only use a wrist strap if I'm snorkeling or free diving for photos.

Try that rig that’s the cover of the video I posted... works great for big or small rigs, very durable, and unlike a simple tether, it lets you clip the whole camera off quick and tight...

My coil lanyard broke after several years use. Do you have a make, model and source for the coil lanyard with stainless steel bolt snaps on each end?

Thanks...

Thought about moving the inflator to the kidney port and putting the OPV up on your shoulder? Would be easier to reach across with your right hand to vent. I’ve seen some sidemount guys run this way.

Do you have a make, model and source for the coil lanyard with stainless steel bolt snaps on each end?
No reason you can't make your own. His set up looks like a typical coil lanyard with split rings on each end. The bolt snaps are just attached to the split rings.

After reading this thread, I figured I'd give this set up a try (my camera rig right now is only set up with a rope across the top that splits for hooking to my chest d-rings, but offers no drop protection in the water), so I am planning to spend $15-20 at amazon for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9VAKYMMFXG39

and a set of 316SS split rings to replace the end connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NRD4ST/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3424YAY5WGNZR&psc=1

I struggled to find any readily available options that included bolt snaps on each end.

No reason you can't make your own. His set up looks like a typical coil lanyard with split rings on each end. The bolt snaps are just attached to the split rings.

After reading this thread, I figured I'd give this set up a try (my camera rig right now is only set up with a rope across the top that splits for hooking to my chest d-rings, but offers no drop protection in the water), so I am planning to spend $15-20 at amazon for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A9VAKYMMFXG39

and a set of 316SS split rings to replace the end connectors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075NRD4ST/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3424YAY5WGNZR&psc=1

I struggled to find any readily available options that included bolt snaps on each end.

Thanks for the links.

I MacGyver'ed a tether with a loop of bungee and the 2 bolt snaps with the buckles from my old coil tether. I don't trust a plastic coil. The stainless steel coil would certainly provide reassurance.

My coil lanyard broke after several years use. Do you have a make, model and source for the coil lanyard with stainless steel bolt snaps on each end?

Thanks...
I've had it for so many years that I don't remember the exact make of the lanyard, but it was probably something like this. I cut off the plastic clips on both ends.

On the end that goes onto the camera, a stainless steel quicklink goes through the webbing loop. To this is attached a bolt snap and a large solid steel ring. The ring goes around the camera tray. This is the end that is potentially under strain from current, etc.. so it needs to be very sold. No matter what happens with the lanyard, I won't lose the camera (I did once when I was using a split ring instead of a solid steel ring on the housing!).

On the other end is a split ring connecting the webbing to another bolt snap. I use large bolt snaps since I need to be able to work them with heavy gloves, but for a smaller rig in warm water, you could use smaller bolt snaps. The split ring isn't an issue at this end, since it's never really under much tension.

And since the lanyard is really only there in case you drop it while holding it, it never gets put under much strain. The camera is either in my hand or clipped off by the second bolt snap (the one next to the camera), so that it's tight and secure during travel, deco, etc...

tether.jpg

Thanks for the links.

I MacGyver'ed a tether with a loop of bungee and the 2 bolt snaps with the buckles from my old coil tether. I don't trust a plastic coil. The stainless steel coil would certainly provide reassurance.

It's really not the coil that is likely to fail, but the connectors. But either way, the lanyard itself is never under much strain, unless you just drop the camera...

Thank you doctormike and steve_c, I will investigate and likely adopt your advice as it seems sensible. I suppose the wrist tether is a hold over from my earliest camera rigs, and while I tried a spring retractor clip once it left me badly bruised so I left it behind. This coil type clip might play out better but I must say that I rather like to avoid additional cables that can snag - I will look at placement options.

Not trying to beat up on you, not at all. But the wrist tether is really a bad idea for the type of camera you are working with. For multiple reasons, it interferes with the use of your arms and hands and is very likely to result in the loss of the camera. I always have my rig tethered on a stout, stretch cord to my scooter ring. It is ALWAYS tethered to my scooter/crotch ring. Even a playful tiger shark was unable to get my camera thanks to the tether though he snatched it from my hands! Imagine if your camera was tethered to your wrist!

Doctormike's solutions are not exactly llke mine but very similar, you have to make it work for you, but you have to get rid of the wrist tether. There is the problem, now I see the issue you are having.

This is similar to the one I am using:

Mini-Coil Tether

And this one is the one I am using, it goes into one of the "tripod" 1/4X18 threaded holes in your housing/tray:

2 FT. Camera Tether

Cetacea has several that may work better as your primary anti-loss tether. You can let the camera hang from it, but the primary purpose of this tether is to keep the camera from wandering off. If you need your hands free momentarily, both hands I mean, then use a double ender bolt snap to one of your chest D-rings.

Edit to add, now that I am looking at Doctormikes lanyard, I am starting to like it better than mine. I may borrow it.

James

I've had it for so many years that I don't remember the exact make of the lanyard, but it was probably something like this. I cut off the plastic clips on both ends.

On the end that goes onto the camera, a stainless steel quicklink goes through the webbing loop. To this is attached a bolt snap and a large solid steel ring. The ring goes around the camera tray. This is the end that is potentially under strain from current, etc.. so it needs to be very sold. No matter what happens with the lanyard, I won't lose the camera (I did once when I was using a split ring instead of a solid steel ring on the housing!).

On the other end is a split ring connecting the webbing to another bolt snap. I use large bolt snaps since I need to be able to work them with heavy gloves, but for a smaller rig in warm water, you could use smaller bolt snaps. The split ring isn't an issue at this end, since it's never really under much tension.

And since the lanyard is really only there in case you drop it while holding it, it never gets put under much strain. The camera is either in my hand or clipped off by the second bolt snap (the one next to the camera), so that it's tight and secure during travel, deco, etc...

View attachment 568708
Excellent description, thank you DoctorMike. I especially like the solid ring around the handle as a solid attachment point and will incorporate that.

My bungee loop tether stays attached to my left d-ring and to the camera tray when in use. When ascending or descending I move it to the crotch strap d-ring and snap the buckle. Using a ring around the handle would be a simpler, quicker and more solid alternative to using the buckle.

Back
Top Bottom