Considering Red Sea for First Liveaboard. Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might be a language barrier but in my opinion I only did say my gf and I don’t like to go outside of the harbour in Egypte...

Actually, you said this: Never did explore Egypte outside of the harbour area, we don’t like the mentality that a lot of people have there. That’s also a personal opinion ofcourse.

I am taking issue with this comment - not because I am being politically correct - but rather because I think it is necessary to call out certain types of comments when they are posted. You had the opportunity to edit your statement or to place it in context but did not do so. We are left wondering whether "mentality" refers to religion, politics or culture.

I can understand how some people prefer to stay within the confines of a resort or a made-for-visitors harbor like Port Ghalib. Out on the streets, you are bombarded with offers to sell you things. Even for those of us who have been subjected to it many times, it gets tiresome saying "la, shukran" after a while. Not sure if that's what @Tribal was referring to, but that's the "mentality"--that as a tourist I am a walking wallet--that bothers me.

I have been travelling for many years and learned early on that if you want to see the world, you have to take it as it is. Staying on resort for safety reasons is one thing, but shying away from folks who are just trying to make a living is something all together different. Perhaps @Tribal will enlighten us @Lorenzoid

the "mentality"--that as a tourist I am a walking wallet--that bothers me.

that’s what i ment. I did visit places where people had a lot less but where they act differently. Also I don’t have a problem with them being so, their country their rights. I don’t like it so i don’t go sightseeing.

Thanks for all the great information. Any insider info on best places to book? I know I have seen a lot of threads about liveaboards where they mention they never pay list price, but I don't know where to look for better deals.

We typically travel in the winter to escape the Montana cold, but is that a good time to do northern Red Sea? It is perfect for the Caribbean, which is also why we seem to go there so frequently.

We went in early December. Of course there's no guarantee but the weather was OK and water still warm enough for 5mm, though I got by on a 3mm and a Sharkskin. I say this not having been able to dive the whole trip due to catching airplane flu

Oh and our lob was half price too!

Chilly, which LOB did you choose and how did you get such a discount? I am thinking we may need to do Indo winter 2020, and save Red Sea for the summer after. Water temp is a big issue, especially when you dive Coz and 82 degree water in a 3mm wetsuit and still end up shivering during the SIs. Thanks.

Chilly, which LOB did you choose and how did you get such a discount? I am thinking we may need to do Indo winter 2020, and save Red Sea for the summer after. Water temp is a big issue, especially when you dive Coz and 82 degree water in a 3mm wetsuit and still end up shivering during the SIs. Thanks.

It was Red Sea Aggressor, which is burned now.

I don't think that they are the only company offering deals for that time if year but who knows now that Europe has started flying into Sharm again.

I’m in agreement in the weather: I’m in hurghadha now and the water is around 17/18 c the wind it cold and I definitely don’t feel like I’m going to get sunburn although it’s pleasant out of the water. I’m rushing for a hot shower when I get out and I run really hot as standard.. I dove in a 1mm in nov at brothers/thistlegorm etc. I would like a 5mm here... lots of Germans in dry suits..

I would like a 5mm here... lots of Germans in dry suits..
I'm one of them :cool:
On a LOB, it's not only the water but also the constant wind you usually have in winter. Your fellow divers lough at you at first, then theý start thinking it might have been a good idea and by the end of the trip you have to fear that they punch holes in your suit. :D
I do know quite a few Egyptian guides that also dive dry; and I find a tri-lam dry suit with just a base layer underneath more comfortable than a 5mm plust vest, let alone a 7mm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom