Can't decided between Mares Abyss 22 Navy ii and Epic Adj 82x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First post***On a forum***Ever***

I'm relatively new to diving (under 25 dives), and forums haha, but I've fallen hard for it. I've gotten a few certs and done some trips for diving's sake, local and abroad. I love it, but I hate the rental gear. I like BPs and a streamlined setup, neither of which you find for rent easily.

I've been piecing together a single tank dive rig since the new year (Mares BP/Wing). I have most things sorted out, but can't hone in on a regulator. I was gifted a Mares Fusion Octo for christmas, so there's that. I guess I'm all in on Mares. I like the look of their stuff and from what I've read, it's more than just looks, hopefully.
I was thinking of stepping up a bit for the primary second stage. Seems better to invest early than to invest twice as I progress, so I'm not too worried about the price.

I expect to progress in dive difficulty and environment in the years to come.
I'll eventually get into a dry suit and would like to be set up for cold water diving.
I could see myself diving different mixes and double tanks as well.
I also like the idea of dependability and a simple faultless design (much like a harness/BP).

Abyss reg seems dependable as all hell and the 22 Navy ii flawless in cold water. I also like that it's not as big.

Epic reg seems like a high quality build and the 82x first stage seems very versatile, but newer and bulkier. It has the cracking and airflow adjustability that the Abyss doesn't have. Necessary?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

A Mares Abyss 22 Navy II is a fine choice for most people's needs, it will serve you well in both cold and tropical water, is extremely reliable and a good performer. Parts are available world-wide, and the design goes back to the 1960s with the Voit MR-12.

Mares doesn't get a lot of love on this board, but their regulators are solid. The Abyss in particular is time-tested, reliable, and easy to use.

IMO, the reason they aren't more popular in the US in general and this site in particular, is that Mares actively opposes DIY. Training and parts are hard to get unless you are affiliated with a shop. This shouldn't make a difference for the typical diver that has one regset serviced every couple of years, but it's a real issue for tech divers with multiple regs.

Cheers guys! I was leaning the same way. The fact that it has been around so long, loved by most who own one and the simpler design really sold me (Abyss 22 Navy II).

Leisure Pro had a sale this past weekend, it was $600 instead of $800. Didn't pass that up
Can't wait to test it out. :cheers:

Go with the Mares Abyss. I have been diving one for over 18 years and it hasn't missed a beat

Cheers guys! I was leaning the same way. The fact that it has been around so long, loved by most who own one and the simpler design really sold me (Abyss 22 Navy II).

Leisure Pro had a sale this past weekend, it was $600 instead of $800. Didn't pass that up
Can't wait to test it out. :cheers:
One note for you on your Navy II regulator - unlike all other current Mares items, the service interval is supposed to an annual overhaul rather than bi-annual alternated with bi-annual inspections/tests.

This is because the Navy II service kits still use the older, slightly less durable seats, which is what the USN tested and approved. They can't change those to a "better" component and still sell to the USN unless/until the USN signs off on the change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom