BP/W: 1 piece webbing vs H harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leman

Registered
Reaction score
Contemplating going to an H style harness like diverite transplate. Was in a pretty strong current yesterday with SAR doing a recovery and a couple of times would have preferred a chest strap to keep things more secure on my upper body.

for general comfort have also considered getting some of the T triglides to move the shoulder straps out in line with my hips.

comments/suggestions?

Youll save money in the long-run by going with a backplate and wing utilizing a one-piece webbing strap. Should you ever have to replace any components you can just spend a small pittance on the single piece as opposed to buying a whole new bcd. Plus, you can easily change components to fit your diving needs as opposed to, again, buying a whole new bcd.

That being said, if you were in good trim and positioning... why were your shoulder straps coming off of your shoulders?

Youll save money in the long-run by going with a backplate and wing utilizing a one-piece webbing strap. Should you ever have to replace any components you can just spend a small pittance on the single piece as opposed to buying a whole new bcd. Plus, you can easily change components to fit your diving needs as opposed to, again, buying a whole new bcd.

That being said, if you were in good trim and positioning... why were your shoulder straps coming off of your shoulders?

Currently running a BPW and 1 piece harness. Not looking at buying a premade H harness. Pretty much cutting up the 1 piece of webbing and adding some triglides to adjust things around a little.

to answer your question it was the water current. Trying to maneuver around a car in a river between rapids. Ripped the mirror off the car trying to hold on while confirming the body was inside. Current would catch the tank and try to rotate me. Straps never actually came off that I remember, would just feel more secure with a chest strap.

I use the H with the T’s it has many advantages for me from basic comfort to the ability to carry weight pouches at or behind the T, one piece webbing is good if it works for you, doesn’t work for me and it takes the same amount of webbing either way, my system allows for different stiffness of webbing, like a stiff belt and softer shoulder straps or the other way around.

These would work for a chest strap: 2 inch -- just add a boltsnap on a piece of bungee.

DGX Offset S/S Rigid D-Ring | Dive Gear Express®

dx-602504_1a_3.jpg

And as mentioned above a bungi and a bolts snap should work. I prefer a cross chest strap as well. You could also add a fastex buckle and some narrow belt like a traditional BC.

Use/make what works for you. I have a bunch of different styles, including a continuous, a home made cinch, a h-harness, and other mods to meet my needs. Letter religion is not a one size fits all answer.

Have fun!

(and offend folks along your journey)

Contemplating going to an H style harness like diverite transplate. Was in a pretty strong current yesterday with SAR doing a recovery and a couple of times would have preferred a chest strap to keep things more secure on my upper body.

for general comfort have also considered getting some of the T triglides to move the shoulder straps out in line with my hips.

comments/suggestions?

are you sure it is adjusted properly? There should be no comfort improvements by moving the shoulder straps forward on your waist if the straps are adjusted properly because they should be quite loose.
If you want to have a chest strap for SAR type stuff, just put a chest strap on the existing backplate.
Buy a pair of these and put them immediately under your chest d-rings or wherever you feel they are comfortable
DGX Offset S/S Rigid D-Ring | Dive Gear Express®
After that, make a leash with a bolt snap. It will prusik into one of the offset d-rings, then will have a bolt snap on the end to clip to the other side.

Edd modeling what this looks like
P5080459.jpg

i feel like I am in the twilight zone, folks on SB actually accepting the potential need for a chest strap and offering constructive advice vs saying you will die if you use anything other than a DIR hogarthian set-up. It is a world gone mad I tell you...mad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom