Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the December 13 Undercurrent newsletter..... oh my!

It’s rumoured that the southern reefs will open in December for tourist season, but the agency that runs the marine park, CONANP, has told our local contact that they have made no decision to reopen those areas.

I think Undercurrent has shown their lack of local knowledge

On a related front...........We’ve all laughed about diver urination causing coral bleaching. After my read today, I’m thinking it would be interesting to see some realistic worse case calculations on water reactive nitrogen levels from “divers” to understand that level of worse case impact.

Like pi$$ing in the ocean. If you figure a diver pees a quart of urine into the water on a dive. If that quart contains 5% nitrogen, dilute that by the 10,000 gallons of water that a diver swims through, that's 1.25 mg/L of nitrogen. Consider the current in Cozumel, and that 10,000 gallons of water is swept out to sea in about 1 minute, and the nitrogen that peeing divers contribute is a drop in the preverbal bucket.

Sorry to bump this to the top again. Would someone be so kind as to remind me…

Are the Cozumel reefs closing temporarily every year? If so, is it in October? Is there a place with a public schedule posted?

Thanks in advance

Sorry to bump this to the top again. Would someone be so kind as to remind me…

Are the Cozumel reefs closing temporarily every year? If so, is it in October? Is there a place with a public schedule posted?

Thanks in advance
Apparently, there will be rotating reef closures starting April 1. I have not seen any details or whether they are still moving ahead with this plan. I would imagine that @Christi has reliable details

Better than a "preverbal" anything.
Now, now. Be nice. In the immortal words of Patrick Swayze in "Road House", "Just be nice". :)

Cheers,

Apparently, there will be rotating reef closures starting April 1. I have not seen any details or whether they are still moving ahead with this plan. I would imagine that @Christi has reliable details

At a class last night that I didn’t quite understand everything, they mentioned closing Columbia and parts of Palancar in August and September- during spawning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom