Mismatching twinset 1st stages. Advantage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlutterTubes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there any reason why using two different high perfoming first stages on a twinset would be a bad idea?
I'm thinking they would probably fail differently if they are two different models.

Nothing wrong with it while diving. I imagine that it could be more of a pain when it comes to service if the regs came from different brands and you had to send them to different shops. Similarly, if you're able to repair your own regulators and want to bring spare parts on trips, you might have to carry two sets instead of just one.

I imagine that it could be more of a pain when it comes to service if the regs came from different brands and you had to send them to different shops. Similarly, if you're able to repair your own regulators and want to bring spare parts on trips, you might have to carry two sets instead of just one.
Good point !

most of the first stages are of a similar design and don't have that many differences in function. If you are concerned about simultaneous failure, just get them on different rebuild schedules.
That's a great idea. That might be what I'll do.

Advantage? The advantage is you can save a bunch of money if you already have two first stages that don’t happen to match!

The advantage is you can save a bunch of money if you already have two first stages that don’t happen to match!

This is the reason my left and right post regs are different. I ended up with two different regs, so I've continued to use them on my doubles.

@buddhasummer it wouldn’t bother you to use two different first stages with two different second stages would it? Wouldn’t trigger any OCD or anything? :wink:

most of the first stages are of a similar design and don't have that many differences in function. If you are concerned about simultaneous failure, just get them on different rebuild schedules.
What are your thoughts on a piston one side and a diaphragm on the other? I was recommended not to do this by an instructor but I never followed up to find out why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom