Refresher course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi my daughter is an advanced open water diver but she has not dove in about five years. Her fiancé is finishing his certification next weekend and she just did a refresher course. Does anyone know if she is required to do dives before she goes on her honeymoon. It’s a refresher course good enough for her to dive. She doesn’t want to get there and then tell her that she has to do more check out dives.
While she would love to go with him to dive seeing that they’re getting ready to have a wedding and honeymoon and with having to board two dogs she is hesitant about spending the money. She has no idea what to do does anyone have any input or suggestions.
Thank you very much

Any refreshers are 100% up to the diver. Her certification is good forever.

The caveat to that is that many dive charters will require proof of recent dives, possibly even recent relevant dives (i.e. X number of boat dives in the last year). So the answer is basically "it depends." If they just want to go shore diving? No problem, she doesn't need any checkout dives. If they want to take a boat ride to a specific site? Best to verify with the dive operator to be certain, but probably good as is.

No, as CuriousRambler said, a refresher course is not like a certification--there ARE no "checkout dives." However, at some dive resorts, they may have ALL of their clients do some sort of simple check-out dive, ostensibly to check your weighting but often more to just make sure you are comfortable on a simple dive before taking you to anything more challenging. If your daughter simply tells the dive operator that she hasn't dived in years but JUST took a refresher course, the dive op will probably shower her with praise for doing the right thing and also make sure she isn't immediately plopped down on any dive sites beyond her ability.

Yes, what they said. I have noticed that it is almost always asked by a dive charter "when was your last dive?" It helps if you have done one recently (last week always worked for me).

Hi my daughter is an advanced open water diver but she has not dove in about five years. Her fiancé is finishing his certification next weekend and she just did a refresher course. Does anyone know if she is required to do dives before she goes on her honeymoon. It’s a refresher course good enough for her to dive. She doesn’t want to get there and then tell her that she has to do more check out dives.
While she would love to go with him to dive seeing that they’re getting ready to have a wedding and honeymoon and with having to board two dogs she is hesitant about spending the money. She has no idea what to do does anyone have any input or suggestions.
Thank you very much

Saxman has hit on the most important factor - where she will be staying. The resort/operator/dive op has the final say. Contact them for the answer. Every response you get on this board will nothing but opinion, not the definitive answer.

Good luck.

They are not sure where they are going yet

Do they know who they're diving with? (resort they're staying at, etc?)
They are not sure where they’re going yet

I'm curious why she's so keen to avoid checkout dives at the resort. Seems like the worst-case scenario is that they have to do their first honeymoon dive on a shallow reef that might be less than spectacular, before they can go see wrecks or sharks or whatever lies in deeper, faster waters. Might be a wise choice even if it's not required. I once had to do a mini checkout dive in the open water portion of a cenote before going into the cavern; it only took a few minutes, and then we did the cavern dive proper. I was glad to do it; I felt more comfortable knowing I'd been assessed and found adequate.

I'm curious why she's so keen to avoid checkout dives at the resort. Seems like the worst-case scenario is that they have to do their first honeymoon dive on a shallow reef that might be less than spectacular, before they can go see wrecks or sharks or whatever lies in deeper, faster waters. Might be a wise choice even if it's not required. I once had to do a mini checkout dive in the open water portion of a cenote before going into the cavern; it only took a few minutes, and then we did the cavern dive proper. I was glad to do it; I felt more comfortable knowing I'd been assessed and found adequate.

She just doesn’t want to have to hassle with it once they get there she’s scared she will lose a day. I don’t know because she’s a 30-year-old daughter ha ha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom