Thoughts on Tres Pelicanos vs Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure it's great for VA people, but really annoying for divers who've been told they must be at the Aldora pier by 7:30am. We rush through breakfast to get there, only to spend 10+ minutes going north and back to pickup up VA divers. And then dropping those same divers off first.

That treatment doesn't encourage us to stay at VA. We're more inclined to tell Aldora to EABODADIAF.
Wow. Ten whole minutes? Way to ruin someone's whole vacation, Aldora. :D

Super interesting thread especially for someone who is going to Coz for the first time next month...

Can someone google map the 3P pick up point for me? I was wondering if I needed to go to the dive shop every day or if there might be a more efficient pick-up point I could arrange with them.
The shop is on calle 5 about 75 meters east of the international hospital :
upload_2020-2-18_19-4-59.png

upload_2020-2-18_19-5-40.png

The google map pin is incorrect, its on the opposite side of the street (south side).
TP normally tries to leave the shop between 7:40 to &7:45 to allow for a boat departure from the Marina at 8:00. if you are staying in a hotel south of town get with Jennie and they will try to arrange an alternate means (pickup or taxi) of getting you to the marina.

Thanks guys. I must be a bit confused...where is the marina that the dive boats leave from? Is it not near the shop?

Marina Fonatur, Cozumel it is 3 miles south of downtown
Scuba Life Cozumel and some other operations go from there. I read an interesting history of the marina. Loads of politics and some expensive incompetence went into that development.

Anyway, since I'm posting about Cozumel, this question popped into my mind the other day: where does Cozumel's drinking water come from? It's not like they have a mountain range pushing snowmelt into reservoirs. All aquifer?

Wow. Ten whole minutes? Way to ruin someone's whole vacation, Aldora. :D
Seriously @ggunn ?? - I expected better than this sarcastic response from you as a Cozumel regular and someone I have come to rely on in this forum. Read the entire thread, read the context of everything. Things are a bit more nuanced than 10 minutes.

Anyway, since I'm posting about Cozumel, this question popped into my mind the other day: where does Cozumel's drinking water come from? It's not like they have a mountain range pushing snowmelt into reservoirs. All aquifer?

All aquifer. Millions of years of rain falling on the island seeps down and pushes the salty water out. Like any aquifer surrounded by a salt water ocean, the more fresh water that is drawn from it the more salt water creeps into Cozumel's fresh water aquifer as it doesn't come from never ending springs and such. The only fresh water Coz has is what is in the earth and it is a limited resource. Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong but the Coz fresh water supply comes form numerous inland wells that were all drilled and fed into common pipes the populated areas.

Scuba Life Cozumel and some other operations go from there. I read an interesting history of the marina. Loads of politics and some expensive incompetence went into that development.

Everyone I know of drinks Filtered / purified water out of 20L jugs they buy from the roving water company vendors or at the store. The municipal water comes from the islands cenotes and is supposed to be good from Central treatment plant but it's a tropical island with an elevation of abot 10' above sea level and the distribution system can get compromised. Most folks trust it for washing dishes and vegatables but not for drinking (a 20 L bottle delivered in to the house is about $1USD)

Super interesting thread especially for someone who is going to Coz for the first time next month...

Can someone google map the 3P pick up point for me? I was wondering if I needed to go to the dive shop every day or if there might be a more efficient pick-up point I could arrange with them.

If you are staying south of the marina, basically El Presidente and anywhere south, they'd pick you up from your hotel's dock, but confirm that with the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom