How would you get to Palau or what would you do in Guam for a day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When on Guam, try the Horse & Cow Pub on South Marine Corps Drive. A large,open,upstairs Navy submarine bar with a wide selection of bottled & draft beer/ale and tasty pub food.

I stay in Guam for a few days once or twice a year I really like the snorkeling. Diving is OK. If you do dive (which you wouldn’t do on a 23 hour layover ) see if you can go with a local without the dive guide. Will probably save you 100 bucks for a two tanks , guided dives seem to be geared towards novices and are pretty expensive

Usually stay at Hyatt Regency , no complaints. I like the hotel and they have good service. Probably 80- 90 percent Japanese and Korean tourists, but all the locals speak English (given they are proudly a part of the US ).

Renting a car for the day is a good idea. Taxis in Guam are ridiculously overpriced. You can probably rent a car for the price of a round trip taxi ride between the airport and Tumon Bay Area where Hyatt and several other hotels are (I think it is whopping 3-4 miles ).

My wife and I took this same flight, in 2017 I believe. We did the 23 hour stop over in Guam. It’s not as much time to kill as you think. You’re tired and jet lagged upon arrival, it’ll be late evening when you get there. We got out of the airport, to the hotel, grabbed a bite to eat and went to sleep. Next morning we laid on the beach and snorkeled for an hour. We grabbed lunch from a local spot, walked around and explored for a few hours. By that time you need to get back over to the airport a couple hours early for your flight. I recommend grabbing food at Hokkaido ramen house, and terry’s local comfort food. Terry’s is a nice little place, and you can get an authentic local meal of kelaguen.

Hi,

Please pardon my tardy reply—I’ve been away.

We’ve done it two ways:

1) One day layover, and go to the local movie theater.
2) Several day layover and dive with this shop—Blue Persuasion Diving Guam. Very nice diving.

It’s been awhile, but my guess is that the Lionfish are still there...

A80371A9-7654-434E-965E-AD9E3D52FB38.jpeg

Personally I wouldn't even consider flying United (too many problems with that airline). I took China Airlines to Palau via Taipei

That short time between flights used to be normal. They would always hold the flight. I can't remember difference between arrival of the incoming flight and the outgoing flight. It was definitely less than an hour, like 45 mins. We were late coming in and they held the flight. Not sure if that has changed.

Any suggestions on...what to do for 23 hours in Guam on a Sunday besides getting used to the time change?

You'll probably be wiped out from the travel. Your hotel will likely be in Tumon, the main tourist area on a protected bay, perfect for some relaxed lounging on the beach, renting a paddleboard, or maybe a stroll in flipflops along the beach to one of the old Japanese pillboxes.

A low-key day is going to Hagatna and poking around the Guam Museum, cathedral, Latte Stone Park, and the ruins of the Plaza de Espana, which are all next to each other, before grabbing a meal at one of the many restaurants in Hagatna and maybe seeing what is happening at Chamorro Village and Paseo de Susana. Taxis are crazy expensive, but there are occasional Red Shuttle Buses running from Tumon to Agana Shopping Center, close to the village center.

If you have time and energy for a real day trip, I second the recommendation to rent a car and do a loop down south. You can visit the visitors center and Agat units of the national park, check out the old Spanish cannon battery overlooking Umatac Bay, sidetrip to take the cable car at Talofofo Falls, eat on the beach at Jeff's Pirate Cove, and jump into the ocean at the many many parks and beaches, but particularly Inarajan Pools. There are a stupid number of (not casual) hikes that you can do here. I recommend Mt Lamlam for a nice view, but you'll need a good hat and a lot of water.

If you don't want to figure out what to do yourself and don't mind being the only Japanese or Korean on a bus, Guam is a tourist center and there are many many set excursions (dolphin watching, parasailing, etc etc) that you can just pay to go on.

Find a hotel, relax, start working on adjusting your "body clock" to the local time zone, see some (from what I have been told) breathtaking scenery that those who never leave the airport will never experience.

I found a vrbo for a 13 hour layover on the way to Truk, relax, sleep order pizza, also had the owner of the apt. Pick us up and drop us off at the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom