Letter preceding model number for Scubapro 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always called my first regulator, bought in 1972, still in operation today, the R109. I don't know about the 108 or the Balanced Adjustable
View attachment 568132
Lots of people mistakenly call the 109 the R109. It's actually just the 109. It and the 108 and 156 had no letter prefix. My first regulator was a Mk2/108, followed by a MkV/109 the same year I finally broke down and got certified, in 1972. Local dive shops were starting to require a C card to fill cylinders. I still have that regulator, along with several other MkV/109 combos. I converted my last 109 to a 156 and its MkV to DIN, and still use it. My first letter prefix reg was a Mk10/D350 that I used on my last Caribbean trip.

Lots of people mistakenly call the 109 the R109. It's actually just the 109. It and the 108 and 156 had no letter prefix. My first regulator was a Mk2/108, followed by a MkV/109 the same year I finally broke down and got certified, in 1972. Local dive shops were starting to require a C card to fill cylinders. I still have that regulator, along with several other MkV/109 combos. I converted my last 109 to a 156 and its MkV to DIN, and still use it. My first letter prefix reg was a Mk10/D350 that I used on my last Caribbean trip.

I'm with you concerning the 108/9er.
Just a small thing concerning converting 109er to 156er. That's not possible as far as I know, because the 156 (11.156.000) came out only one year before the production of the old metal 2nds was stopped in 1998 and has the CE stamping on its case.
So you converted your 109 to a 109 BA.........:)

...and the non-balanced flow by piston first stage was designed by Mark Wahlberg aka "Marky Mark." Hence, MK2

I'm with you concerning the 108/9er.
Just a small thing concerning converting 109er to 156er. That's not possible as far as I know, because the 156 (11.156.000) came out only one year before the production of the old metal 2nds was stopped in 1998 and has the CE stamping on its case.
So you converted your 109 to a 109 BA.........:)
Yes, you're correct. 156 specs I guess is what I had in mind.

Correct, the 2nds have been named after their designers:

A - Alberto Belloni
C - Corrado Cominetti
R - Roberto Semeia
D - Doug Toth
G - Dean Garaffa
S - Roberto Semeia
So why do the 108,109, 156 have no letter prefix?

Correct, the 2nds have been named after their designers:

A - Alberto Belloni
C - Corrado Cominetti
R - Roberto Semeia
D - Doug Toth
G - Dean Garaffa
S - Roberto Semeia

Is the Roberto Semeia in both R and S regulators one and the same, or a father/son duo? If only one person, why would SP designate his designs under two separate prefix letters?

Maybe because it wouldn't be the smartest idea to sell the unbalanced R-series together with an 11 years later designed balanced 2nd model under one prefix.........

Who’s “X”? And IIRC Rene mentioned at a seminar once that MK designation was derived from the dive helmet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom