Proper wing storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was hoping I could get some opinions from some of you regarding how you store your dive wings. I have read a few articles stating the usual (clean thoroughly and store with a bit of air in to keep the bladder from sticking etc) but is that the only preferable way? For example can wings be stored fully inflated if a diver so wishes or can that actually be harmful to the wing? Same applies to the alternative of leaving no air in.

I hope to ensure maximum longevity of my wings and most articles and instruction manuals mention to inflate slightly but to what extent is recommended?

I would definitely advise against storing it with no air in it. I don't know if fully inflated would cause problems but it's easier to just put a small amount of air in anyway, so that's what I'd recommend. The amount doesn't really matter - you'll be able to tell quite easily whether it's enough to keep the bladder from sticking.

Then it's just the obvious things like store in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight etc.

I was hoping I could get some opinions from some of you regarding how you store your dive wings. I have read a few articles stating the usual (clean thoroughly and store with a bit of air in to keep the bladder from sticking etc) but is that the only preferable way? For example can wings be stored fully inflated if a diver so wishes or can that actually be harmful to the wing? Same applies to the alternative of leaving no air in.

I hope to ensure maximum longevity of my wings and most articles and instruction manuals mention to inflate slightly but to what extent is recommended?

I always store them detached from the harness and semi inflated on a shelf. No things on top of them, you don't want to stack other material on top of a wing.

Due to upper-back issues I only dive single tank back mount and use a backplate and wing.

To store I inflate my wing and hang in my garage where I have clothes rack with with wire shelves on one side.

I connect the rear D-ring of my crotch strap to a carabiner connected to the rack so that the corrugated hose is the lowest point. This allows any residual water to drain towards/into the hose and I hit the purge button on the inflator to release any water that has collected. I orally inflate fully and repeat until no water comes out.

I then orally re-inflate the wing roughly 80-90% full and leave the rig hanging until next use.

I don't inflate fully because if my rack was to fall over, the fully inflated wing may be more prone to damage should anything land on it.

I have been storing my wing like this since I starting diving a bp/w and have not noticed any issues caused by it.

Here is an image of the rack I have:

019962043864.PT01_839b953c-aa78-4005-b0d4-b6a88775c841_compact_2x.jpg

I have loops of paracord girth hitched around the top front and back cross-members with large carabiners clipped to them, Our BP/Ws and BCDs hang from them (2 on the front and 2 on the back).

Spools/reel, DSMBs, computers, compasses, torches get clipped to the underside of the top rack on the left side using the boltsnaps tied to the device, double-enders , or smaller keychain type carabiners (computers/compasses in bungee mounts).

Fins are stored hanging from the plastic cross-members on the right side...adjustable heel straps are clipped around the plastic side pieces, and I drilled holes to slot "S" hooks to hang fins with bungeee heel straps from. Reg sets are coiled and suspended by paracord loops clipped to small carabiners slung on the plastic cross-members on the left side. I do not have the bar across the middle installed.

On the shelves I have plastic bins similar to this to store masks, gloves, hoods, and booties.
upload_2020-2-19_13-38-0.jpeg

-Z

I live in a NYC apartment and have limited closet space so I have to wear mine where ever I go. I prefer to tuck the wings under my arms and wear a long overcoat to hide them.

Inflate slightly = fill with air, press deflate button, release pressure, don't press the air out. Full of air, but not under any pressure.

Water inside the bladder has also been something of an issue. Although I drain the bulk of it out, there always seems to be some sort of little trickle that remains. After constantly inflating, purging the inflator and releasing the opv after the water falls into a particular spot, it seems to get rid of it but is there an easier way?

weird, i fold mine. maybe i should stop doing that..

Folding isn't good for the bladder, if left this way it can stick together and is likely to perforate.

Water inside the bladder has also been something of an issue. Although I drain the bulk of it out, there always seems to be some sort of little trickle that remains. After constantly inflating, purging the inflator and releasing the opv after the water falls into a particular spot, it seems to get rid of it but is there an easier way?

wow. as a 50 year old man, that really hit a personal note with me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom