Flying to Utila with rEvo Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get out the magnifying glass and look for maker marks. Same for the jug. That is where I would start.

I remember looking for something else once and accidently found them. Didn't know I should have bookmarked it.
All I could find on the cap is a "5" on the inside of the cap. Bottom of the jug has "REGDES 1019363" and "5 litre 753" below that

Inside of the cap I find a 3 and the inner diameter of the jug opening is approximately 3 centimeter.

-Sven-
I ordered some of the "heat shrink tamper evident" sleeves". We will see how that works.

Well, after a week of soul-crushing angst, I am leaving in an hour. And all my gear ended up being so heavy and bulky that, while I *could* still take and check a keg of sorb (with no more fees than the non-refundable ones I already paid), I decided eff it. I'm not dealing with the hassle. 2 50# checked bags plus a full rollaboard and a stuffed backpack ("personal item") is all I care to deal with.

Flying with a CCR and a "real" camera rig is a pain in the a$$!

And now, I am ON VACATION! Later, plebes!!

:rofl3::rofl3:

Well, after a week of soul-crushing angst, I am leaving in an hour. And all my gear ended up being so heavy and bulky that, while I *could* still take and check a keg of sorb (with no more fees than the non-refundable ones I already paid), I decided eff it. I'm not dealing with the hassle. 2 50# checked bags plus a full rollaboard and a stuffed backpack ("personal item") is all I care to deal with.

Flying with a CCR and a "real" camera rig is a pain in the a$$!

And now, I am ON VACATION! Later, plebes!!

:rofl3::rofl3:

Haha the truth
I don't know how people fly with a scooter and CCR!

I'm home from Utila. Just for closure on how it worked out: The Samsonite suitcase worked perfectly. I checked it as luggage. My rEvo made it there and back and the suitcase itself doesn't even show any real signs of wear. The rEvo was obviously completely undamaged.

I had to open up the suitcase on arrival in Roatan to let their Customs people look inside. They appeared suitably baffled by my Mystery Box. They started to ask questions about it, so I pulled out the piece of paper that I had printed and put inside with it. It just said "this is life support equipment for scuba diving. It is a rEvo III Mini closed circuit rebreather (CCR). For more info, go to rEvo Rebreathers - rEvolutionary Diving. Please be gentle with it, my life depends on it" and then gave my name and cell phone number.

I think the Customs people didn't speak English (or at least not read it very well). They looked at the piece of paper with glassy eyes, handed it back to me, and sent me on my way.

Avianca turned out to be really great, as far as airlines and luggage were concerned. I got one free checked bag plus one carry-on, as part of my fare. My traveling companion from my scuba club that ended up coming along didn't bring any gear at all - he rented everything. So, he only had one carry-on. I had 2 bags to check, so he checked one for me, so my 2 checked bags plus my carry-on and personal item did not cost me anything (extra). The rEvo case weighed 49 # and my gear bag with all my other scuba gear and clothes also weighed 49 #.

My Samsonite rollaboard had my loop (w/BOV), O2 sensors and some other rEvo spares, my NERD, and some of my camera gear (including 2 x strobes). My "personal item" (aka backpack) had my camera and housing, camera lens and port, all my other dive computers, 2 x deco regs, laptop, iPad, and miscellaneous other stuff. I didn't weigh it, but I bet it was every bit of 40 #, if not 50. It was frickin' heavy.

Nobody from Avianca ever batted an eye, on any of my flight legs, at all the stuff I carried on. I had no problem stowing it all in overhead bins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom