Suunto, You Suck!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaadJurgquer,

Yes, and for a really good reason. Shearwater sets the standard for customer service. MemersonC would either have his computer back or a loaner. Shearwater respects their customers.

Combined with the lowest failure numbers in the business, it is no wonder there are so many fanbois on SB.

cheers,
markm

FTR, I have a Shearwater....what I don't have is a shirt that says "Shearwater is the answer....I forgot the question".

Wow....took only til the third response!
Technically it was the second response, not the third. The original post isn't a response and doesn't count.

Shearwater is out of Canada. Due to Canadian tax laws there is a break for them if they only hire Canadians. So they can't own service centers outside Canada. That makes the non-Canadian service centers contract businesses that are not owned by Shearwater. But they are in near daily contact with Shearwater. Just a way around the legalities and government taxing issues. The service center forwards the unit to Canada, that is if it isn't fixed at the service center. The service center does simple repairs such as NERD2 batteries, button replacement, cable replacement, depth sensor replacement, and I think a few more things. The really bad ones just go to Canada.

Ya, so by comparison, my six-year old Shearwater Petral didn't like my flight to Belize two weeks ago. When I arrived, it was apparent that the depth sensor had died as the computer was reading 4'.

Long story short, I contacted SW from Belize. They answered the next morning, suggested my diagnosis was likely correct and provided a return authorization. I shipped it when I got back to Canada. It arrived at SW last Friday late afternoon. Monday was a holiday. It arrived back at my door today... Wednesday. So basically, they fixed it and shipped it Tuesday. At no charge.

Oh, one small detail I missed out...

Because mine is one of the original generation of Petrals, they didn't bother to fix mine. They just sent me a NEW Petral 2... the one with the compass. Brand New. In the original case. No charge.

I confess that I wasn't surprised at the great service. I wasn't even surprised that there was no charge. And I was only slightly surprised that they just replaced it. None the less, I sent the CSR a note, and just questioned this new thing, and she confirmed that it wasn't an accident. No receipt needed. No dealer involved.

Shearwater already had me as a customer for life. Now they have me in the afterlife too, although I dunno if there's diving down there.

@Shearwater is an unbelievable company, with incredible products. Period.

I had a button on my Perdix get sticky. I reported it to SW - I received 5 emails and a call. It resolved with a warm water bath. I’ve never received such well-meaning fantastic advice from any company. They really cared. Amazing service.

My experience with SUUNTO/Huish is that they get the job done but it’s a slow laborious process with lousy communications. Very unpleasant.

I don't know where the OP's unit was sent, but Suunto does operate one service center of their own in Utah, near but not next to Huish. I think it also handles all of their business for non-dive channels, such as sport watches.

I live in Utah, it still took them around 6 weeks to 'service' my EON core a couple of years ago when it was behaving weirdly. I use the word 'service' loosely, because as far as I can make out all they did was say "we couldn't reproduce your problem so it's not our problem".

I'll be switching to Shearwater this year too.

Routine service (battery replacement for example) at the local Suunto repair center typically takes 1-2 weeks but if a computer has to go back to the Suunto mothership you would think it's located on the dark side of the moon. Good luck trying to get updates on service status as well.

My Perdix screen crapped out during its first year. I sent it to Richard (Dive-Tronics) and had it back in less than a week.

I also have an eon core and a Perdix ai. My Suunto tank pod went out after few dives (it would stay on after diving and not shut off) so battery life was nil. I sent it in to Suunto and received an older but new unit back in about a month.

That said I bought a Perdix ai and absolutely love it. Not trying to be a fan boy but it is just in my opinion better than the Suunto. I like the Suunto a lot but I love my Perdix ai.

So now when my wife dives, she goes with the suunto. She had a cressi as her primary but now it’s her backup and suunto is her primary.

Question to the original poster. Do you by chance have any idea what may have caused the issue with your eon core? If it is something we can all learn from, it might be a good idea to share to the group. I would hate to have mine flooded etc.

Glenn

It arrived back at my door today... Wednesday. So basically, they fixed it and shipped it Tuesday. At no charge.

Oh, one small detail I missed out...

Because mine is one of the original generation of Petrals, they didn't bother to fix mine. They just sent me a NEW Petral 2... the one with the compass. Brand New. In the original case. No charge.
Come on, by your admission they cheated and sent you a new one. Not fair.
Who would want to support a company like that? :)

Back
Top Bottom