List of solodive friendly divecenters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never seen an issue with solo diving from any boat in California nor God's Pocket in Canada.
I don't think that the condition in those places can be described as tropical. A certain level of competence is assumed.

The OP didn't say they had to be tropical. I would rather dive at God's Pocket or anywhere on the west coast of North America than any tropical site.

If you have the solo certification, then it should be accepted. Just like any other certification. There are dive ops that kind of like to check out new to them divers regardless of the certification. Okay, then afterwards, let them be and if solo certified, then so be it. There is another aspect to all of this, in many places, the locals make their income guiding divers and they expect to be your guide and get their income.

So again, why can there not be a list of known shops, facilities, operations domestic and abroad, that allow a solo certified diver (in general) to exercise their solo certification. If they are PADI, as many are, what are they denying their own certification programs? N
Exactly. I also know that some divecenters only let you solodive if you did the solocourse with them. haha. That is only to make money. My solo(instructor)card is from iantd. A lot of agencies offer solo, or self sufficient or self reliant, but all allow solodiving. It seems most divecenters only want to cater the mainstream stuff: muppet divers who don't have problems with guides or special wishes. Experienced divers want more than just that.

@Germie :
Considering how the majority of responses on this solo diver forum completely blows by you request of naming dive centers where one was able to actually dive solo when using their services, this seems a harder ask than it seemed to me.

For what it's worth, I list the only outfit where I dove solo so far and actually used their boat. It likely is not that interesting to you as they run bigger boats full of tourist divers to well frequented sites and do so on a tight schedule, but, it worked for me when getting my wife, a brand new, timid diver then, who, irationally feels safer diving within a horde, a bit more aquainted with water. She sat out some dives and I could go down on my own and relax not having to worry about the DM getting lost or loosing a slower diver or two and tend to my camera or an interesting fish or...

That was Rainbow Reef, Key Largo, FL.
I dove with my gear, my pony (which I had previously gotten filled elsewhere after flying in) but their tank and their boat. They offer "free" DMs on each trip, but do (typically) allow buddy pairs to dive w/o DM. They also do (at least did a couple years,ago) allow certed, properly equipped solo divers to do so, but only IF the captain of the boat judges you and the conditions at the time of the dive such as (my guess) you being more likely to get back to the boat then say, a buddy pair. They may have dives where they insist everybody goes with a DM. Not sure. They run a high volume outfit and by time waves threaten 3 feet they cancel trips or second dives. Anyway, my experience was that the DM running the show on deck may choose to default on saying you cannot solo dive (i.e. due to conditions), but will ask the captain to talk to you if you kindly request so. According to the main office the responsibility on that call is wit the capt a in on a case by case bas is (well, as of 2 years ago). If you then pass the captains lookover / questions / judgement, you dive solo, if not, you join the group.

At 'de Zeester', you can dive solo on wreckdives in the Netherlands. Every diver need to take their own equipment and cylinders. De Zeester is in Lauwersoog.

Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman allowed me soloing in 2010, for looking the part, being a BSAC instructor already and hiring a manifolded twinset.

Bonaire in 2014 and I'm in Caribbean Club (Sister Centre of Buddies) and that trip was setup especially for me to solo dive.

Best thing is to speak to them ahead of arriving and get the lie of the land first. Undoubtedly they will want a check out dive from you. Some places refuse to rent ponies to deter the would be solo diver, so bringing a set of AP Plastic pylons means you can manufacture a set of twindies using any pair of matched cylinders. Ideal for travelling.

Bonaire in 2014 and I'm in Caribbean Club (Sister Centre of Buddies) and that trip was setup especially for me to solo dive.
You'll find Buddy Dive is less accepting of solo diving than they used to be, since Fiona Sharp's death last October. They don't even offer the course anymore, do not allow it from their boats, and will not rent a pony to you in most cases.

I heard from Bonaire: rent tanks, tell them a friend rented somewhere else or has his own tanks and go solo. Most times you don't need a pony, just go sidemount then. There is no need for 'lef right' valves. In earlier days they also did it with normal valves. Also you don't have to ask for a pony then.

I heard from Bonaire
Who/what is "Bonaire." A friend, a dive op, STINAPA, who? I'm trying work out the credibility and applicability of the information you got.....

Who/what is "Bonaire." A friend, a dive op, STINAPA, who? I'm trying work out the credibility and applicability of the information you got.....
A friend. I also don't have first hand names. But if more people tell the same story (and that is what I heard), then I am more and more to believe this. But yes, before I will book, I need to have names and a yes written in email.
But for these things I opened this topic.
I already have mentioned names from divecenters I have been and where solo was no problem.

Back
Top Bottom