Trip Report Delfins/AB Dive Feb 9-16, 2020 Punt Vierkant Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny, the steel/wood pier looked complete last Friday and there were people jumping off the end and a diver entered from that pier while I was eating lunch. Perhaps there are more modifications needed before they consider it truly "open" for business.
Delfins Bridge or our Pier - Delfins Beach Resort Bonaire
Start construction new pier - Delfins Beach Resort Bonaire

Looks like they intend on doing boat dives based upon their "plans" in the links above. I'm torn between Delfins and Bamboo Bali for my next trip!!!!
Get your reservation for "The Chefs" in early at Bamboo Bali. I reached out a few weeks before I got to the Island. Got put on a waiting list and never got a call. Next trip to the Island I'm going to reach out earlier. Have to give them a try. We were very impressed with the seafood on Bonaire. My wife is Japanese, so it takes some quality seafood cuisine to satisfy her.

Can you describe that? Might be of interest to people.
Well, the power outlets for one. At Delfins our room had US and Euro dual round pin 220 outlets ( for the coffee maker). A more simple minimalist décor rather than ornate or faux luxurious. The lack of a door on the Shower with squeegee (which I think is also done at another resort on the island). Doors not locking behind you and having to key entry/exit. (I asked my Dutch Friends about that one and they say that's not unusual). Service that is not always gushing with a smile and contrition, but efficient and more "direct" so to speak. The small food portions. Also breakfast is very different in Europe than the US or Britain. Though they did serve eggs which I thought was probably an accommodation for Americans. I really expected the cold cuts and cheese for breakfast. I was surprised that there wasn't smoked fish of some sort for a Dutch Breakfast at Delfins. The beer and wine selections were not catered to Americans.
It's really a sum of tiny differences that can lead to large criticisms by many Americans.
Like " Can you believe that I paid over XXX dollars a night and the shower didn't even have a door. We had to use a Squeegee every time we showered." I can understand how that would be off-putting for some. To me not so big of a deal.

Thanks for the trip report! I stayed at Delphins two years ago in one of their three bedroom units. I enjoyed the resort, but as a light sleeper, I am not a fan of the wooden louvered windows which lacked a glass pane in the bedroom. There was no insulation from any outdoor noise. Did your unit have actual windows?

Thanks for the trip report! I stayed at Delphins two years ago in one of their three bedroom units. I enjoyed the resort, but as a light sleeper, I am not a fan of the wooden louvered windows which lacked a glass pane in the bedroom. There was no insulation from any outdoor noise. Did your unit have actual windows?
We definitely had windows. There were no opening to the outside that were anything other than windows or doors. I don't remember any of them being shuttered. We did have curtains over all of the windows and the glass door that went to the balcony area. I think maybe they have finished with that "phase" of construction because there was no ongoing construction that I noticed leaving the resort anywhere from 8-9 am.

Interesting, see the link to my report, post #10, under accommodations

We stayed there last year and got an incredible deal from Travelocity.com (it was kind of short notice) Some of the travel sites online have deals on Delphin's, and you can use coupons (my favorite is cheaptickets.com who have 16% off coupons)
It was really nice, the Dive Friends location was easy and convenient, and it has great beach area with lounge chairs etc, to hang out at. I second the idea of it being a great place for non divers.
One of the "Dutch" issues for us, being pretty small people, was that everything seemed deigned for someone over six feet tall. I could barely see the top of my head in the mirrors, nor reach the shelves over the stove. At least the toilet was normal height, unlike my experience at Ocean Breeze, where I literally had to climb up to sit down!
Also, you can request a normal coffee maker so you don't have to buy those silly pods for $5.00 each.

We stayed there last year and got an incredible deal from Travelocity.com (it was kind of short notice) Some of the travel sites online have deals on Delphin's, and you can use coupons (my favorite is cheaptickets.com who have 16% off coupons)
It was really nice, the Dive Friends location was easy and convenient, and it has great beach area with lounge chairs etc, to hang out at. I second the idea of it being a great place for non divers.
One of the "Dutch" issues for us, being pretty small people, was that everything seemed deigned for someone over six feet tall. I could barely see the top of my head in the mirrors, nor reach the shelves over the stove. At least the toilet was normal height, unlike my experience at Ocean Breeze, where I literally had to climb up to sit down!
Also, you can request a normal coffee maker so you don't have to buy those silly pods for $5.00 each.
Sorry about forgetting that. I'm 6"3" but my wife is just a little over 5 feet and she was definitely challenged by the counter top and shelves. And thanks for the discount notice. I'm seeing some great pricing for Delphins for the late summer. What time of year was your stay? Just curious. I'm seeing some pretty good deals there for the August/Sept time frame. They say that the trades die down some that time of year and you can get a "wind reversal" that makes the East Coast good for shore entry. I'm interested in returning during that time frame to potentially shore dive the East Coast. I heard some pretty amazing things about Boka Bartel, Red Slave etc. A Dutch Friend of mine said he dove the East Coast during a wind reversal and quit counting adult green turtles at 25 and Spotted Eagle Rays at 15 all on one dive on the East Coast.

I received this message from Delfins today:

The pier is ready and open !!! As per last Monday
1f60a.png

However, it has not been fine -tuned with Dive Friends yet, how, when and what time Delfins boat dive participating guests are to be picked up at or on certain days…..

This, as I just got confirmed from our general manager, will be known and clarified within 2 weeks…….

To be continued……

I received this message from Delfins today:

The pier is ready and open !!! As per last Monday View attachment 569055

However, it has not been fine -tuned with Dive Friends yet, how, when and what time Delfins boat dive participating guests are to be picked up at or on certain days…..

This, as I just got confirmed from our general manager, will be known and clarified within 2 weeks…….

To be continued……
Divers were clearly using it last week. Having a boat there is a bit of a game changer. Interesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom