Dry suit under garment for taller SoCal diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to receive my first dry suit and am looking to purchase an under garment.

I'm quite tall & lean (6'6" 205lbs).

What under garment would you recommend for SoCal winter diving? (50F degrees-ish)

And do any manufacturers make taller sizes?

Many thanks...

There used to be a guy on eBxy that did custom undergarments...

There used to be a guy on eBxy that did custom undergarments...

Was Randy or Ron or something. I tracked him down and couldn't get a hold of him. He hasn't listed anything in his ebay store in a long time.

To the OP, I can't comment on thickness because I don't dive those waters, but anyone who does will need to know what type of suit your diving. Big difference neoprene vs trilam.

Also, you can order from Seaskin (UK company, will take a little bit to ship to you). They make custom fit undergarments at a very reasonable price. Forget about the VAT tax, that doesn't apply to you.

If you find a company in the states that custom cuts for less, please report back. I haven't found one.

Thanks for the info. Is there an alternative to custom? Do any manufacturers have taller/longer sizes or is an option to go XXL or XXXL?

Thanks for the info. Is there an alternative to custom? Do any manufacturers have taller/longer sizes or is an option to go XXL or XXXL?

I mean, I'm sure there are....but why not get something that fits perfect for the same or less? (again, the shipping time is the only thing that stinks)....6'6" is pretty tall!

People will experience cold differently, so what works for some of us in terms of thermal gear may not work for you.
I use a thin merino wool layer under a Fourth Element Arctic layer (which despite the name is not at all made for arctic waters) down to 3-4 degrees celsius (40ish fahrenheit) for up to 1h dives, and I am fine with that.
My buddy will use a Santi BZ400 with a thin merino wool layer under for the same dive and he'll still complain about freezing by the end of the dive, another buddy will use the same but with a heated vest and won't be freezing by the end.
Personal tolerance for cold makes a massive difference in what layers you will need, for your diving I would probably go for a Halo 3D or BZ400, it's better to carry a layer that is a little bit too thick than one that is too thin.

That's what I was thinking - I can usually tolerate being too warm better than I can too cold...
Do you need to wear a base layer under the Halo 3D if you are too warm?

Back
Top Bottom