Deep stop hand signal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for everyone's respond. As a recreational diver, I don't know how to plan deep stop before a dive. I always follow my computer's instructions underwater. I know how to plan maximum depth or dive time according to NDL by PLAN mode in my computer, but I don't know how to read deep stop duration or depth before a dive. Would you mind to teach me or provide an article or something for me? @jale That will be very kind of you. Thank you.
You can usually turn the deep stop function off if you want. If not, it will usually give you a stop half way between your max depth and the surface.

To signal this is your buddy when leaving the bottom, show a flat horizontal hand, then loop it up to indicate the next stop, followed by the depth in finger digits. At that depth, move flat hand from side to side a little to indicate depth achieved, followed by number of minutes at that depth.

In my mind, deep stops are related to...deep dives and rec dives are not deep dives...even if you have a specialty called "deep".
So how to plan "deep stop(s)" for rec dive? You don't because you don't need; you may need some "stops" on the way up to slow your ascent but that"s it :)

A deep stop has no application in recreational (no mandatory stop) diving. It's value in tech diving is currently under much debate and that is why you are not getting solid answers to you question.

A deep stop has no application in recreational (no mandatory stop) diving. It's value in tech diving is currently under much debate and that is why you are not getting solid answers to you question.
how many deep stops can you fit on the end of a pin?

@nohappy can you give us an example of what you are considering "deep"?

I'm not an expert on this at all but, when I got sucked into a lot of reading about RGBM and different deco models, there was a lot of reading regarding deep stops and it seems the general consensus based on some studies is that deep stops are not as safe--something to do with offgassing fast tissue but continuing to saturate slow tissues, which results in your having less saturated fast tissues once you ascend, but at the cost of having loaded your slow tissues even more than you would have had you just come up for a shallower stop.

Then again, from my (cursory) understanding, you have to account for whether or not your tissues are fully saturated (since, at full saturation, holding a deep stop won't make your tissues take on more saturation, so then it's not as much of an issue but again, depends on your dive profile).

For what it's worth, I'm a recreational diver and I have my computer deep stops turned off.

Just want to make it clear again. I'm talking about "deep stop", not "deco stop". And my question is how to hand signal "deep stop".
You would signal move up and indicate a depth.

I have been taught to indicate move up with a hand flat facing down and moving upwards, but in a half circle towards me. you should discuss this before the dive as I don’t think it’s a signal that everyone does the same way or know.

Move up in one minute to 18m would be:
  • One
  • Move up
  • Then OK to ask my buddy to OK me back
Once you are there just signal that you are doing x minutes stop.

I don’t think there is a signal for deep stops. Whether you want to do deep stops or not is another topic.

I'm not an expert on this at all but, when I got sucked into a lot of reading about RGBM and different deco models, there was a lot of reading regarding deep stops and it seems the general consensus based on some studies is that deep stops are not as safe--something to do with offgassing fast tissue but continuing to saturate slow tissues, which results in your having less saturated fast tissues once you ascend, but at the cost of having loaded your slow tissues even more than you would have had you just come up for a shallower stop.

Then again, from my (cursory) understanding, you have to account for whether or not your tissues are fully saturated (since, at full saturation, holding a deep stop won't make your tissues take on more saturation, so then it's not as much of an issue but again, depends on your dive profile).

For what it's worth, I'm a recreational diver and I have my computer deep stops turned off.

You pretty much nailed that summary. Research has indicated that fast tissue compartments can tolerate more overpressurization than slow compartments without developing DCI, which means getting shallow sooner is better. If you're within NDLs, there's no scientifically sound reason to add a stop any deeper than a safety stop.

Back
Top Bottom