how do you recognize dcs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said before, my interest is not in this particular case, which I posted just as an example, it is more in general.

It happens relatively often that I have similar sympthoms (usually for a shorter period, like one day) after conservative dives (less than 35m deep, well below the decompression limits, air or nx32). Also, I never had any sympthom just after the dive - sympthoms start the day after usually (sometimes I feel fatigue some hours after the dive, and I need to sleep, which happened once after a 9m training dive - probably it was more fatigue due to training than due to deco issues).

I just wanted to know if anybody has similar issues, which apparently is not the case (at least, it is not the case for people who saw this thread). If there isn't any way to rule it out, as it seems to me from your comments, I guess the best idea is to discuss this problem with a doctor to be sure that there is nothing else.

And maybe a heated undergarment, just to be sure that these sympthoms have nothing to do with cold, would be a good investment (when I will find the money...)

Thanks a lot to everybody for your comments!

It's possible that you are experiencing repeated incidents of subclinical/minor decompression sickness, but it would be hard to tie in the ear and sinus problems with that diagnosis and given your description of what happens, I don't think DCS would be first on the list. I do think that being evaluated in person is a good plan. Did you try the ice bag?

Best regards,
DDM

If you’re doing decompression dives, it’s a good idea to have a 40AL with O2 available to you in water. That way, if you get delayed and incur more deco than expected, you have an alternative to deco on back gas.

You can then use that O2 topside if you ever experience any DCS like symptoms. Treating yourself with O2 is better than waiting two days to seek help. It would also help you determine if your symptoms are DCS related.

If you’re doing decompression dives, it’s a good idea to have a 40AL with O2 available to you in water. That way, if you get delayed and incur more deco than expected, you have an alternative to deco on back gas.

You can then use that O2 topside if you ever experience any DCS like symptoms. Treating yourself with O2 is better than waiting two days to seek help. It would also help you determine if your symptoms are DCS related.

Not that OP mentioned doing this, but i claim that planning "backgas only" decompression dives is probably a poor approach to decompression diving

It's possible that you are experiencing repeated incidents of subclinical/minor decompression sickness, but it would be hard to tie in the ear and sinus problems with that diagnosis and given your description of what happens, I don't think DCS would be first on the list. I do think that being evaluated in person is a good plan. Did you try the ice bag?

Best regards,
DDM

Why don't you think it is a good plan to be evaluated in person? Cause I have actually been to a doctor today, who (obviously) told me it was more likely due to cold. By the way, I am perfectly fine today.

Frankly speaking, I am sure 99% that they are not about DCS. My dives are way too conservatives right now to have DCS problems, I don't do deco often, and if I do, it's never more than 5/10 minutes. I just wanted to compare my experience with others.

By the way, it turned out that I have a (very) light form of cold urticaria. However, it isn't bad enough to justify the use of medications. The doctor suggested to pay more attention when diving in cold water, and to use better thermal protection.

Why don't you think it is a good plan to be evaluated in person? Cause I have actually been to a doctor today, who (obviously) told me it was more likely due to cold. By the way, I am perfectly fine today.

Frankly speaking, I am sure 99% that they are not about DCS. My dives are way too conservatives right now to have DCS problems, I don't do deco often, and if I do, it's never more than 5/10 minutes. I just wanted to compare my experience with others.

By the way, it turned out that I have a (very) light form of cold urticaria. However, it isn't bad enough to justify the use of medications. The doctor suggested to pay more attention when diving in cold water, and to use better thermal protection.

Sounds like your next step is to get heated gloves and vest.

Sounds like your next step is to get heated gloves and vest.

Hum, yes... I am planning to start with technical training $$$$, so also some equipment for technical diving $$$$ then heated undergarment $$$$.... I guess the next step will be to sell a kidney, and then the other stuff :D

Hi @ginti , sorry if there is a misunderstanding, my post read, "I DO (emphasis mine) think that being evaluated in person is a good plan". It seems like you may have an answer, glad to hear that.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi @ginti , sorry if there is a misunderstanding, my post read, "I DO (emphasis mine) think that being evaluated in person is a good plan". It seems like you may have an answer, glad to hear that.

Best regards,
DDM

I read it too fast... my mind added a "n't" even if it wasn't there. Thanks again for your help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom