Oceanic Whitetip Sharks - Cat Island, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video definitely not for me

Great video! Oceanic White Tips at Cat Island have been on my "Gotta do this" list for several years. You looked pretty shallow. Were you shooting ambient light or did you have video lights? How were the logistics of getting to Cat Island?

Great video! Oceanic White Tips at Cat Island have been on my "Gotta do this" list for several years. You looked pretty shallow. Were you shooting ambient light or did you have video lights? How were the logistics of getting to Cat Island?

We hovered around 5 meter but the drop off was around 1000 meter deep. I had video lights but they didn't last both dives as they were around 90 minutes long each. You definitely get by without as it is so shallow diving.

In terms of logistics we flew in from Nassau with Sky Bahamas. If it is a full flight there isn't much space to put your carry-on. There is no way I could have put my backpack in the overhead compartment but luckily the flights were not fully booked.

I just got home from diving Tiger Beach on the Aggressor and we were discussing doing this trip in the next couple of years. Your video is super nice and I think I would really enjoy diving with those guys.

Great video! We are going on this trip with Big Fish Expeditions in April and are really looking forward to it! My husband & I have been on a dozen of his trips and highly recommend diving with Andy :)

Wonderful video! I would love to dive with them. That said, the shark at about 0:19 sec had it's pec fins a little low for my comfort :eek:

Fantastic video!

I want to go to Cat Island! The close encounter with them is definitely much better than the one I experienced in Elphinstone. I only saw 2 of them. May be because the guide just used SMB to attract them, no chumming.

Wonderful video! I would love to dive with them. That said, the shark at about 0:19 sec had it's pec fins a little low for my comfort :eek:
Every time you were close to the surface you got their attention. So you had to be careful entering and exiting the water, you definitely don't want to stay too long at the surface but overall I think they were well behaved.

Fantastic video!

I want to go to Cat Island! The close encounter with them is definitely much better than the one I experienced in Elphinstone. I only saw 2 of them. May be because the guide just used SMB to attract them, no chumming.
It definitely is a different experience than Elphinstone, you just get so many of them. At one point I counted 13 or 14 plus a couple Silkies and the got bolder, so you really had to pay close attention which one is the closest to you.

Reactions: Dan
Nice!

Curious:

What we're you advised of in the pre-dive briefing?
(i.e. better be vertical than horizontal or... vice versa, or does not matter
.. or?)

What exactly does everybody who writes something like "you definitely have to watch out for the sharks closest to you" mean?
What does that entail?
What does watching out closey do for the diver or the shark?
I mean is it about being ready to push off when that close or is it meant like Crocodile Dundee staring down a Buffalo - or?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom