Aqualung dimension i3 bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dentlfly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any feedback on the i3 system. Seems very user friendly. Looking at this vs aqualung rogue. Mostly positive reviews but nothing recent. Most reviews several years old. Would have aqualung safe second/ inflator as backup. Thx.

Heard too many horror stories of people snagging the inflator lever on something and inadvertently filling the bc for me to ever consider one.

it was the first BCD I had, and I REALLY liked it. Used it exclusively for my first 100 dives from Egypt to Baja.

Never felt the elevator lever was a snagging hazard, and never had a problem there. When I was first starting out I appreciated how much easier it was to deflate than having to get my inflator hose extended above my head.

The only two issues I had with it were:

when I was a complete novice I trapped air a few times in the jacket of the BC, which then expanded as I got close to 20ft and that lifted me up to the surface once. But that was probably due to my poor trim, and it only happened the one time.

the catch for the integrated weight pockets sucks and I lost pockets (and weights) four times - once on a backward roll, twice mid dive and a third time climbing into the boat. Then I switched to a DUI weight and trim and all was good. If I was going to use it again I'd probably stitch a velcro tab on there to keep them locked in place.

Mine was recently fully serviced and hasn't been dove on since it was serviced. I could be tempted to sell it if you were interested in a well looked after size large without integrated weights. I switched to sidemount about a year ago and can't see I'll ever go back.

i3 system is proprietary so if you need it repaired you can't just pop on a standard inflator hose if you are traveling somewhere. I have also seen issues of accidental inflation/deflation when the owner was seated next to someone on a boat. If you dive kelp or anything similar, it can be a reason for concern. You also need to explain to your buddy how to use it in case of an emergency.

I'd recommend not doing a safe second/combo inflator and do a traditional octo. I've seen too many issues with it as well. I am also not a fan of the Aqua Lung weight pockets. They sometimes come undone accidentally and are not purposeful releases with a mechanically locking mechanism that you can control like other brands of BCs that have integrated weights. (The AL one you push in and it clicks in within the pocket, you don't have access to it vs male/female buckles/velcro etc from others)

I can't recommend the lever design. A customer brought in a bcd that was not holding air, and after some extensive disassembly, I found that the plastic conduit that carries the actuator rods for the shoulder dump had gotten kinked in storage.
Intermittently, the kink would bind on the mechanism, holding the valve stuck in the OPEN position.
20180110_084638.jpg

That's a quick trip to the bottom if you have full tanks and don't jettison your lead immediately.
If you buy one, be very careful how you fold the jacket at the sides. The tube runs from the lever back and up to the shoulder. Feel for the tube, and learn how to put the bcd away so it's not bent.

Me, I'd stay away from it. Neat concept, but flawed design.

I have one, but just for the purpose of rescue classes. I show students different configurations beyond single tank jacket style BCD: i3, sidemount, BP/W with Hogarthian. The point is to get them to think and evaluate a configuration when coming across someone in distress.

I have the Axiom i3 BCD. Three words, "I love it"! I love the i3 system, it's just plane simple to use and I've never once caught the inflator lever on anyting. Zero complaints out of me. After using mine my son is going to get the Dimension i3 since AL is discontinuing the Axiom line. Just make sure to have it serviced each year or depending on how much you dive.

I have the Axiom I3 and love it. not one problem in the 5 years i have had it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom