Travel and diving insurance for seniors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are those other options? Everything I can find either excludes my age or excludes scuba diving.

I don't know if travel insurance also varies by state - but we have purchased Travel Guard and Travel Insured policies for single trip coverage. We don't do a lot of diving anymore and so we haven't attempted to purchase annual, ongoing travel insurance - so that may be different.

Neither of our TG or TI policies consider recreational scuba to be an adventure or dangerous sport and they do not have any special limitations or coverage requirements but they may have depth limitations. I believe that TG covers scuba up to 30 meters (98 feet). I think that DAN's travel insurance is good to 40 meters?

I am not aware of any age limitations with the TG and TI policies, the premium is based on a percentage of the total costs of the trip per person. They also factor in the date when you made the deposit for the trip and the date of purchasing the travel insurance. It may be more expensive (or reduced coverage) if you purchase closer to departure. We always buy soon after making the deposit.

BTW, I have heard that some car rental agencies are unwilling to rent cars to older individuals on vacation, so that is concerning to us.

I just looked at the DAN annual travel insurance policies and they look pretty reasonable. For us the prices range from $1552 to $1825 to cover 2 individuals for a year and they include trip cancellation and other travel benefits. We are retiring soon and hoping to do a little more travel so maybe it would be a good option.

Medjet Assist?

Egad, we certainly opened a can of worms here, didn't we? Restrictions on DAN by state- who knew?

Egad, we certainly opened a can of worms here, didn't we? Restrictions on DAN by state- who knew?
LOL
Anybody who has ever purchased insurance knew....it is a State-regulated thing.

LOL
Anybody who has ever purchased insurance knew....it is a State-regulated thing.

I think people just didn't realize that there are such great differences by insurer, policy, state law, etc. I have recently been struggling with this as we transition to Medicare and Medicare supplemental insurance and it is incredibly complicated and can be overwhelming - but's really important and you need to get it right.

Have you checked with your automobile association? AAA?

I'm in Canada but when I ran into problems with insurance, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the AMA, Alberta Motor Association, had what I needed and while not cheap, was much less than any other. Also, there was a discount for being a member.

Exactly. You feel my pain....and it is times two, of course.
It is NOT a good deal, but it is beginning to look like the ONLY deal.

(I hope I am not hijacking the thread here. Some of what I am writing may apply to Travel Guard policies outside the U.S if they are offered. And, having now read through 4 pages of comments, I am aware that some of this below is redundant, and some of it is just a rant.)

DAN insurance coverage this year is actually worse than you think. You may know that they did not formally announce that their basic dive insurance no longer covered people over 70 (I think I am right about the age) until they supposedly negotiated relief from their insurance provider for next year's renewal. I say "supposedly" because I am not sure that I am covered by this since I still have last year's dive insurance policy. I am not clear on what happened and how they fixed it. I got one of their people to tell me on the phone "don't worry, you are covered now." But then, I never officially knew that at one time I wasn't.

But the travel policy has problems in addition to its dramatic increase in cost. If you review your travel policy from last year and compare it to this one, you will see that the current policy does not have the section called "Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains." Last year that was $500,000 of transportation coverage at the middle level policy. This is the coverage for getting you back to the U.S., dead or (more important) alive if you have an accident or get sick. So double the price and much less coverage for high ticket items like medical extraction. You have to actually read the policies side by side to see the significance of this omission. Your DAN dive insurance policy is not going to help you here, even though it has some medical coverage.

It seems that all the companies got together this year and doubled the cost for their policies and kicked up the cost even more for older people. Why? Because they can, I guess, if they all do it together. The easiest way to see what they did is to look at the policy cost as a percent of the trip cost. Look at what percentage you paid last year versus this year. The cost of DAN's policy (middle range) for someone 47 years old is 9 - 10% of the trip cost; it is 10 - 12% at 67, so not much change. But at 62, it jumps to 15% and is 20% at 77.

Finally, it won't help you on cost much, but I would recommend going to the Travel Guard website, which is the provider of DAN's policies. Maybe call them on the phone to go over fine points also. Their available 3 standard policies still include the "Emergency Evacuation etc." coverage and costs a bit less than DAN's policy. At first glance, it would seem that scuba diving is not covered because it is labeled as an "Adventure Activity," and excluded (see Exclusions). However, you can add it back in by purchasing the "Adventure Sports Bundle" add-on. I did that for two people for $11 total and I am 77; my wife is 72.

Once you get through digesting this, you might come to the same conclusion I did--why not buy this policy directly from Travel Guard with the Sports Bundle (look at the Medical Bundle also), then consider whether you are getting anything extra in the dive insurance you buy from DAN.

Clearly, DAN was asleep at the switch on these policies last fall. As a result, they have two policies that cost a lot more now and seem to offer no more, and maybe less, than can be obtained directly from Travel Guard or some other group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom